Planning upgrade from 2.11 to 2.11.4

David Shrum

Nov 10, 2015, 9:23:23 AM11/10/15
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
A couple of questions about Gerrit 2.11.4 usage and if rollback from Gerrit 2.11.4 to Gerrit 2.11 would be possible.
We are evaluating upgrading from 2.11 to 2.11.4 as a number of issues have been fixed.

1. If you are using 2.11.4, are there any issues or concerns in upgrading to it from 2.11.
2. Even though there are no DB Schema changes from 2.11 to 2.11.4, would a rollback be possible after 2.11.4 was used for a few days if an issue is identified?  In other words, are there any changes or additions to the data stored in the DB or Gerrit filesystem written by Gerrit 2.11.4 that 2.11 may not recognize if a rollback occurred.

Thanks for any feedback

Bassem Rabil

Nov 10, 2015, 9:46:49 AM11/10/15
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
You should be able to rollback safely from 2.11.4 to 2.11 as long as there is no DB schema change.

Bassem Rabil

Nov 10, 2015, 9:49:38 AM11/10/15
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Also there is no secondary index schema change from 2.11 to 2.11.4, thus both your DB and local secondary index data should be compatible between the 2 releases.

David Shrum

Nov 10, 2015, 2:12:12 PM11/10/15
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Thanks for the information Bassem.  As there is no secondary index schema change from 2.11 to 2.11.4, does that also mean we would not need to do a re-index during the upgrade?

Bassem Rabil

Nov 10, 2015, 2:23:34 PM11/10/15
to David Shrum, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Starting 2.11 there is no need to run reindex offline before the upgrade [1], the online reindexer should take care of upgrading the secondary index upon the first launch of the instance whenever there is a change in the secondary index schema version.

In the case of 2.11 to 2.11.4 upgrade, there is no change and thus the online reindexer wouldn't be triggered in this case and no reindexing will be required.

Dirk Heumann

Nov 13, 2015, 10:55:29 AM11/13/15
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi David,

We still have issues with gerrit 2.11.4 (error within git-upload-pack), one large > 2 GB repo, roughtly 100 users.  We got the system rather stable by running a "git gc" and a "git repack -ab" twice a day, forcing jgit to reinitialize it's memory, but 2.11.x is definitively less stable than the 2.9.x or earlier versions.  A git garbage collection within gerrit was not possible with any version 2.11.x, but after migrating from 2.11 to 2.11.2 we got these damn "git-upload-pack" messages.

You may monitor your error_log for errors more intensely than on previous versions.

Best regards,
Dirk

David Shrum

Nov 13, 2015, 4:37:55 PM11/13/15
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Thanks Dirk. We will keep an eye to see if there is any increase in those specific errors.  As we are running on 2.11, we are already seeing some of those errors, so not sure if going to 2.11.4 will be a regression in that area.  Like you mentioned in another thread, we are also using the default for sshd.tcpKeepAlive which defaults to true.