fan-out of refs/changes still needed?

Martin Waitz

May 21, 2015, 9:00:41 AM5/21/15
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com
one stupid question:
given that everybody uses packed-refs (they do, right?), do we still need the fan-out directories for refs/changes?

In our sorted flat file, it makes no difference if there are many entries in the same (virtual) directory.
Or are there hidden performance problems still lurking somewhere?

Being able to just use refs/changes/12345/ would be much easier to explain :-)

Shawn Pearce

May 21, 2015, 10:52:06 AM5/21/15
to Martin Waitz, repo-discuss
If refs/changes/ is logged using reflog, those live as their own files
and would probably need fanout.

But, I think we ask Gerrit to avoid using the reflog for refs/changes.
So this would only apply if git-core was used to receive pushes from
Gerrit replication plugin and git-core was writing reflog files.

Unfortunately the fan-out has been around for so long that a lot of
tools have been written to assume its there. Removing the fan-out may
be more churn than folks can tolerate. And we already used up a lot of
that churn budget with the switch from old ui to CS2. :)
> --

Martin Waitz

May 22, 2015, 4:00:10 AM5/22/15
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com, martin...@gmail.com

Unfortunately the fan-out has been around for so long that a lot of
tools have been written to assume its there. Removing the fan-out may
be more churn than folks can tolerate. And we already used up a lot of
that churn budget with the switch from old ui to CS2. :)

Well, for old scripts we could still support the old longer ref names in parallel.
And UI changes are of course always controversial... brains are a lot harder to reprogram than scripts ;-)