Maxime joined Gerrit@Google as an intern

Patrick Hiesel

Feb 19, 2018, 8:33:33 AM2/19/18
to Maxime Guerreiro, Repo and Gerrit Discussion

Hi everyone,

please welcome Maxime Guerreiro who just joined the Google team working on Gerrit Code Review as a software engineering intern last week. He is really into open-source software (his GitHub profile rocks!) and is excited about improving Gerrit.

Maxime will stay for about six months and will be working mostly on open-source features of Gerrit around the submittability of changes.

He will spend the first weeks of his internship on factoring out an interface so that plugins can hook into Gerrit's submittability checks without creating Prolog facts that users have to factor into their rules.pl. He'll also create a plugin himself that will offer a UI for users to configure what makes a change submittable without touching Prolog.

So please join me in welcoming Maxime to the Gerrit community!

Thanks,

Patrick

Luca Milanesio

Feb 19, 2018, 8:39:19 AM2/19/18
to Patrick Hiesel, Maxime Guerreiro, Luca Milanesio, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Welcome Maxime to the Gerrit Code Review project :-)

> On 19 Feb 2018, at 05:33, 'Patrick Hiesel' via Repo and Gerrit Discussion <repo-d...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> please welcome Maxime Guerreiro who just joined the Google team working on Gerrit Code Review as a software engineering intern last week. He is really into open-source software (his GitHub profile rocks!) and is excited about improving Gerrit.
> Maxime will stay for about six months and will be working mostly on open-source features of Gerrit around the submittability of changes.

Never say never ... I recall another "intern" that stayed a bit more than six months :-)

> He will spend the first weeks of his internship on factoring out an interface so that plugins can hook into Gerrit's submittability checks without creating Prolog facts that users have to factor into their rules.pl.

This *IS REALLY COOL*, almost *ALL* the Gerrit admins that I know of have dreamed about having a different way to define submit rules.
Having this as a mechanism available for plugins, including scripting plugins, would allow any Gerrit admin to use the his language of choice for defining rules.

> He'll also create a plugin himself that will offer a UI for users to configure what makes a change submittable without touching Prolog.

Sweet, so it could both be a sample of how to use the new plugin interface *AND* an out-of-the-box feature in Gerrit.
I believe it should be targeted as core-plugin ;-)

> So please join me in welcoming Maxime to the Gerrit community!

+1

Luca.

> Thanks,
> Patrick
>
> --

Duft Markus

Feb 19, 2018, 8:48:59 AM2/19/18
to Luca Milanesio, Patrick Hiesel, Maxime Guerreiro, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Yay!

Can we have it... like now? :D

Looking forward to see this happening! Ah, and: welcome! :)

Cheers,
Markus
SSI Schäfer IT Solutions GmbH | Friesachstrasse 15 | 8114 Friesach | Austria
Registered Office: Friesach | Commercial Register: 49324 K | VAT no. ATU28654300
Commercial Court: Landesgericht für Zivilrechtssachen Graz

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Feb 19, 2018, 11:44:41 AM2/19/18
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Does that mean we can give users c+2 but only allow them to merge it if it touches a specific file (all without using prolog)?

Patrick Hiesel

Feb 19, 2018, 12:02:36 PM2/19/18
to thomasmu...@yahoo.com, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
That means you could write a Plugin based on the new interface that would add this capability and you/your users would not have to ever touch Prolog.

Maxime will most likely also build a plugin that will let users specify submit rules in a language that is easier to write than Prolog, so in the end you might not even have to write a plugin for this. But I don't want to spoiler too much at this point :)

It is really nice to see that you are all excited about this project - so am I :)

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Feb 19, 2018, 12:07:38 PM2/19/18
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
This would be wmf can use the reviewers plugin and get rid of our mw page https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/Reviewers

Patrick Hiesel

Feb 19, 2018, 12:23:40 PM2/19/18
to thomasmu...@yahoo.com, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Yes, that will certainly work with the new interface.

Note that this is currently also possible with a plugin that provides a custom Prolog fact (find-owners): https://gerrit.googlesource.com/plugins/find-owners

It requires you to add OWNERS files to your Git repo though and you would need to add the provided Prolog fact to your rules.pl.

The new interface will make this more extensible/easier to approach.

Matthias Sohn

Feb 19, 2018, 12:29:30 PM2/19/18
On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 2:39 PM, Luca Milanesio <luca.mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Welcome Maxime to the Gerrit Code Review project :-)

> On 19 Feb 2018, at 05:33, 'Patrick Hiesel' via Repo and Gerrit Discussion <repo-d...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> please welcome Maxime Guerreiro who just joined the Google team working on Gerrit Code Review as a software engineering intern last week. He is really into open-source software (his GitHub profile rocks!) and is excited about improving Gerrit.
> Maxime will stay for about six months and will be working mostly on open-source features of Gerrit around the submittability of changes.

Never say never ... I recall another "intern" that stayed a bit more than six months :-)

> He will spend the first weeks of his internship on factoring out an interface so that plugins can hook into Gerrit's submittability checks without creating Prolog facts that users have to factor into their rules.pl.

This *IS REALLY COOL*, almost *ALL* the Gerrit admins that I know of have dreamed about having a different way to define submit rules.
Having this as a mechanism available for plugins, including scripting plugins, would allow any Gerrit admin to use the his language of choice for defining rules.

> He'll also create a plugin himself that will offer a UI for users to configure what makes a change submittable without touching Prolog.

Sweet, so it could both be a sample of how to use the new plugin interface *AND* an out-of-the-box feature in Gerrit.
I believe it should be targeted as core-plugin ;-)

> So please join me in welcoming Maxime to the Gerrit community!

+1

nice, welcome Maxime

-Matthias

Luca Milanesio

Feb 19, 2018, 2:34:24 PM2/19/18
to Patrick Hiesel, Luca Milanesio, thomasmu...@yahoo.com, Repo and Gerrit Discussion

On 19 Feb 2018, at 09:23, 'Patrick Hiesel' via Repo and Gerrit Discussion <repo-d...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Yes, that will certainly work with the new interface.

Note that this is currently also possible with a plugin that provides a custom Prolog fact (find-owners): https://gerrit.googlesource.com/plugins/find-owners

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Feb 19, 2018, 3:12:09 PM2/19/18
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion