How to run ReplicaIsland with Eclipse?

Luis Estrada

Mar 28, 2010, 3:08:07 PM3/28/10
to ReplicaIsland Coding Community
I try to import the project into eclipse and it doesn't find any
project files.
Do i have to do something special?

-Luis

LouisB

Mar 28, 2010, 3:19:47 PM3/28/10
to ReplicaIsland Coding Community
shouldn't have to do anything special. What error message are you
getting?

LouisB

Mar 28, 2010, 3:21:00 PM3/28/10
to ReplicaIsland Coding Community
instead of import - goto file, new android project, select "create
project from existing source" - I think that's how I did it.

Luis Estrada

Mar 28, 2010, 8:02:05 PM3/28/10
to ReplicaIsland Coding Community
I tried that but i get an error.

The error is:

Invalid project description.
C:\Users\Luis\Desktop\Programming\Android\ReplicaIsland overlaps the
location of another project: 'ReplicaIsland'

Thanks,
-Luis

LouisB

Mar 28, 2010, 8:11:24 PM3/28/10
to ReplicaIsland Coding Community
yea, the way eclipse handles projects drives me crazy sometimes. The
problem is eclipse won't let you "create project from existing source"
if the "existing source" is already in your workspace. Maybe an
eclipse god greater than I can describe a better way but here's what
you do:

1 - move your "replicaisland-read-only" folder outside the eclipse
workspace folder
2 - then try "create project from existing source" again

Luis Estrada

Mar 28, 2010, 9:16:30 PM3/28/10
to ReplicaIsland Coding Community
I don't have a "replicaisland-read-only" folder.

-Luis

Chris Pruett

Mar 28, 2010, 9:20:35 PM3/28/10
to replica-island-...@googlegroups.com
Did you try to create a project some other way before you tried to
build a new project from source? Eclipse uses invisible project files
(".project") in the top-level directory of each project, and the error
you are reporting sounds like there's some junk files already there.
I don't think I checked any of those files in, but they might exist if
you tried to create a project some other way within the Replica Island
folder.

Chris

> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to replica-island-coding-
> community+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with
> the words "REMOVE ME" as the subject.

pupooh

Mar 29, 2010, 2:02:16 AM3/29/10
to ReplicaIsland Coding Community
Eclipse is pretty funky when it comes to Workspaces and the project
folders that exists within it. To my understanding "Workspaces"
points to a directory where all your projects supposedly reside in.
Unfortunately, by creating a folder outside of Eclipse within the
Workspace, it creates a sort of conflict with Eclipse when trying to
create a "New" project that has the same folder name. It's like a
Catch-22, you're trying to create a new project based on a folder that
exists within the workspace folder, but you can't because that folder
already exists *phsyically* within the workspace, albeit not within
the workspace configuration. Basically, what LouisB alluded to but
just a bit more in detail.

Fortunately, Eclipse's Workspace can also include folders outside of
the Workspace's root directory. Thence, as a work around, checkout
the file from SVN to a folder *outside* of what ever your workspace is
pointing to. In your case, "C:\Users\Luis\Desktop\Programming\Android
\" is your workspace, so *do not* checkout to a folder under there,
i.e. you can try to check it out to "C:\Users\Luis\Desktop\Programming
\Android-Learn\ReplicaIsland".

Next, open up Eclipse, select "File > New > Android Project". In the
project name, provide whatever name you want it to be (supposedly
"ReplicaIsland") and then select "Create project from existing
source". In the location field, browse to where you checked out the
project from SVN, i.e. "C:\Users\Luis\Desktop\Programming\Android-Learn
\ReplicaIsland" if you follow my suggested location. Ensure that
"Android 1.6" (more about this a bit later), is selected in the "Build
Targets" selections. You can leave the rest as is. Click on the
"Finish" button and just wait for Eclipse do its magic and you're
ready to browse through the code at your leisure.

Now, the reason I selected "Android 1.6" for the "Build Targets" was
because when I selected "Android 1.5" (on the assumption that it
should work on that SDK version based on Chris' release notes on this
blog in that the game requires Android 1.5 or higher), I get all sort
of compile time error. You can try the "Android 1.5" build targets
and let me know if you can get it to work. Perhaps its just the way I
got the Android environment setting set up, but I would like to
confirm if this is so.

Thanks,

~pu

Chris Pruett

Mar 29, 2010, 2:03:58 AM3/29/10
to replica-island-...@googlegroups.com
You should definitely build against 1.6. 1.5 is the minimum, but I
don't use any 1.6-specific functions, so it's safe to do this (see the
AndroidManifest.xml where the min is set to 3 and the target to 4).
This way the game works on 1.5 devices but also gets the multiple
screen size functionality of 1.6.

Chris

Luis Estrada

Mar 29, 2010, 9:58:46 PM3/29/10