GRUB Error=17

John Phillips

Apr 3, 2016, 4:20:10 AM4/3/16
to Remix OS for PC
As reported earlier, I have been having no luck getting Remix installed on my Acer Aspire One. To be more specific, it appears the install completes without incident, I just can't get anything to boot after. As soon as I reboot, I get GRUB Error=17

My last attempts have even involved forgoing the USB option and installing directly to a blank HD then dropping the HD back into the Aspire.

Always the same...GRUB Error=17

pilleus pulcher

Apr 3, 2016, 2:01:34 PM4/3/16
to Remix OS for PC
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB_Error_Reference#Grub_Error_17

I think that there is a problem with the format of the partition where you installed RemixOS. The system partition is read-write and ext4? Where did you install GRUB?

Thomas.

John Phillips

Apr 3, 2016, 2:23:58 PM4/3/16
to Remix OS for PC
In terms of my install, I ran the build utility as provided by the Remix team. Instead of choosing USB I left the default at Hard Disk.

The drive was in a USB cradle. When complete, I move the HD over to the laptop and boot.

I hadn't even run the install per se.

pilleus pulcher

Apr 3, 2016, 2:39:44 PM4/3/16
to Remix OS for PC
Does the laptop not boot from USB?

Thomas.

John Phillips

Apr 3, 2016, 5:08:14 PM4/3/16
to Remix OS for PC
I had it running with the Alpha code. I have not been able to get the beta (32 or 64) to boot.

Stupidly, I didn't keep the Alpha code so I can't go back and confirm (not can I find the Alpha source anywhere to download).

dgdn

Apr 4, 2016, 4:44:33 PM4/4/16
to Remix OS for PC
Alpha source and others available here:

John Phillips

Apr 10, 2016, 5:40:40 PM4/10/16
to Remix OS for PC
Swapped out for a different laptop.

Toshiba C650
Intel i3

As mentioned earlier, ran the setup then pressed TAB to edit command line. Removed USB_Data line and replaced with INSTALL=0

Install/Setup and boot from USB works great. Only oddity is that when it first boots, there is a small white box with wording in Chinese. Clicking what I think is the No/Cancel button makes it go away. I am then presented with the Language choice for setup to complete.

However, as soon as I reboot to the HD, all I get is the GRUB error.

So Remix runs fine from the USB but I can't get it to boot off HD. I've even done the install and tried GRUB2 and saying no to GRUB and GRUB2. Still get the GRUB Error=17. And yes, I had used GPT to delete and recreate partitions between attempts. Also tried Ext4, Ext3 and FAT32.