Success with FAT32, NTFS, EXT4?

Rob Raimann

Jan 14, 2016, 1:54:32 PM1/14/16
to Remix OS for PC
Has anyone actually been able to install RemixOS to an NTFS partition?

The only file system I have been successful with is FAT32. The downside, can't get Remix to give me more than 4GB space. I am guessing since FAT32 has a filesize limit of 4GB, that is as big as the Data.img file can be on the partition. I want to be able to use the full 30GB I partitioned for Remix.

Lots of people are discussing their success with methods that allow them to fully utilize the partition, but are you all using EXT4 formatting through linux?

My current machine is running windows 10, which will only allow me to format the extra partition in FAT32 or NTFS. I would like to keep my Windows installation and dual boot to Remix.

Please let me know what has worked for you. I would like to know if I need to look for a 3rd party software that will format a partition EXT4, or if I need to install a build of linux before i install remix. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Robert Higuera

Jan 14, 2016, 2:18:31 PM1/14/16
to Remix OS for PC
I don't think you can run Remix from NTFS. It's Linux based, and requires a filesystem that Linux can read. Though I'm no Linux guru, so please someone correct me if I'm wrong. And you would be right about the 4GB limit (pertaining to FAT32).

Now, that said, I did try something that got me to a GRUB prompt on an ext4 partition that Remix is copied to on my Win10 system. But I don't want to post anything on that until I've gotten some more info. ;)

Nicholas Timpf

Jan 14, 2016, 2:18:34 PM1/14/16
to Remix OS for PC
i have been successful with all 3 formats but have yet to figure out how to increase size of the data.img file to get more native storage
Message has been deleted

Rob Raimann

Jan 14, 2016, 2:26:01 PM1/14/16
to Remix OS for PC
Nicholas,

What method did you use to get it to successfully boot to your NTFS partition?

Rob Raimann

Jan 14, 2016, 2:29:52 PM1/14/16
to Remix OS for PC
I saw a user on XDA forums post these links:
8gb data.img link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9QxtdeWW6xtbFpnMXFhZFNPVUE/view?usp=sharing

16gb data.img link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9QxtdeWW6xtSS1RTC16RE12czQ/view?usp=sharing

You may be able to replace your 4GB .img file with them.

That was going to be my plan if I could ever get it to boot into NTFS.

*I forgot to add...you need to extract these with winrar to get the larger .img file

Juan Ignacio Sartti

Jan 14, 2016, 2:59:44 PM1/14/16
to Remix OS for PC
This data.img ¿is for FAT32 or NTFS partition?

Rob Raimann

Jan 14, 2016, 3:38:18 PM1/14/16
to Remix OS for PC
Can't use it on Fat32 due to 4GB file size limit

Carter Gibbs

Jan 14, 2016, 5:19:13 PM1/14/16
to Remix OS for PC
NTFS works great with uEFI!
I have my data.img, ramdisk.img, and system.img stored in the root of my C: drive. I put the Kernel and initrd in my EFI Partition with rEFInd (using a custom boot entry)

Though it should work with the basic efi grub setup.
You don't even need to use the USB tool for the EFI image, just open it in 7-Zip and copy it to your NTFS flash drive.

Juan Ignacio Sartti

Jan 14, 2016, 7:56:17 PM1/14/16
to Remix OS for PC
Ok, thanks

Everything Android

Jan 14, 2016, 8:47:17 PM1/14/16
to Remix OS for PC
I can confirm NTFS woks great with UEFI.With my current setup,I'm running remix os on a 32GB NTFS partition with 25gb internal storage. The guide I followed told to leave some space in the partition.

Everything Android

Jan 14, 2016, 8:52:14 PM1/14/16
to Remix OS for PC
Here is the guide I followed. https://www.reddit.com/r/RemixOS/comments/409w1o/remixos_efi_install_assumes_you_already_have/
Make sure to disable secure boot.

COMPUTIAC USA

Jan 14, 2016, 10:39:43 PM1/14/16
to Remix OS for PC
  Everything Android,

  I'm trying to follow the guide in your link but it is confusing.

  It lead's to two ISO's to download and I don't know which one to use or how.

Everything Android

Jan 15, 2016, 12:31:47 AM1/15/16
to Remix OS for PC

Everything Android

Jan 15, 2016, 12:34:51 AM1/15/16
to Remix OS for PC
There is only one iso to download. Other is a Windows application.

var...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2016, 2:07:27 AM1/15/16
to Remix OS for PC
I followed the steps in the Reddit thread to a T and didn't run into any issues during the config. During boot, after selecting Android, I see the info below for a few seconds, after which the text fades and the screen goes to black (but not off). I let it sit in this state for up to 20 minutes but nothing else happens and I'm forced to power off by holding Power down.

ioremap error for 0x7c07c000-0x7c07d000, requested 0x2, got 0x0
/home/cwhuang/git/android-x86-5.1/kernel/drivers/rtc/hctosys.c: unable to open rtc device (rtc0)
Detecting Android-x86.... found at /dev/mmcblk0p3

The hardware I'm using is an Asus VivoTab 8 (M81C), both TPM and Secure Boot are disabled. I used the files from the Remix OS EFI image since the tablet wouldn't boot from the Legacy image and would just move on to the Windows instance. Interestingly, when I boot from a USB stick with the same image (using an OTG cable), I get the same "unable to open rtc device" error (the preceding path is slightly different), after which it finds Android-x86 under /dev/sda1 and proceeds to hang on the black screen again. The behavior is the same with both Resident and Guest modes. With the USB option, there's also a preceding "error: no such device: /system.sfs. Press any key to continue...". I assume this is why the guide says to remove the system.sfs file from C:\AndroidOS (which I did).

Hopefully that's enough detail to help with troubleshooting, let me know if I can provide any other info. Thanks in advance.

Everything Android

Jan 15, 2016, 2:34:26 AM1/15/16
to Remix OS for PC
You should post this in the reddit thread, he might help. I can't help with troubleshooting.

mca...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2016, 3:52:15 AM1/15/16
to Remix OS for PC
I am the one who post the 8gb data.img and 16gb data.img.....

Since i don't have UEFI pc, can't really test out.....

By using legacy pc, it is super simple to install the Remix OS into your local hard disk without format, partition or bla bla.....try not to do all those as it is so troublesome.....

to begin....
1. Prepare your USB drive using Rufus
2. Try to boot using guest mode. If it is successful, then proceed to installation . (If the guest mode failed, don't bother to install it.....wasting time
3. During USB drive bootup, highlight the resident mode and press the 'tab' key. It will let you modify the boot parameter. Just press 'end' key and add in INSTALL=1 and press enter. Press the 'b' or 'enter' key to boot.
4. Now you can see the installation screen.
5. Proceed to install to your local hard disk (please don't ever format anything) and install Grub as well, skip the grub2 installation. The installation will ask you to add in windows entry...just press yes
6. Install system as r/w, install the data partition as 512MB (we will going to replaced with 8g or 16 data.img later).
7. Once finished installation, reboot the system.
8. During reboot, the grub menu will show, select Windows to Boot
9. Inside your C drive (normally Windows C drive is using NTFS), there is a directory call android-xx-xx-xx created. Inside the directory you will see system.img, initrd and bla bla bla......copy the 8g.data.img.gz or 16g.data.img.gz to this directory and extract/overwrite the existing 512Mb data.img (using 7zip)

Now you are ready to reboot....

You can select Remix OS during the grub menu.......should be quite fast to get the Remix OS screen......then done.

For those keep on reboot issue and can't get it to work, you can try the Pheonix OS........the method is the same..

(My Dell Optiplex 745 can't use Remix OS, but this Pheonix OS is working fine.....onboard video, sound, network all working.....but no Google Play Store)

Rob Raimann

Jan 15, 2016, 9:51:41 AM1/15/16
to Remix OS for PC
Darn. I wish that would work with a Legacy BIOS. Looks so much easier than all the crap ive been messing with!

Brad Cotner

Jan 15, 2016, 10:41:04 AM1/15/16
to Remix OS for PC
Thank you mca. Super easy.

reddr...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2016, 10:59:15 AM1/15/16
to Remix OS for PC
MCA can you create a 32gig. I used to mess with those files a few years ago on Android on a stick devices but to lazy to do it now.

I am trying to get it all up and running on a Class 10 SDCard so I can still go from PC to PC without the USB hanging out of the system.

Robert Higuera

Jan 15, 2016, 11:59:26 AM1/15/16
to Remix OS for PC
Hey everyone. I actually got Remix to install to the whole harddrive using the same installation process used for Android-x86. It installed fine and everything. The problem is, it boots to Grub, let's me select Remix OS, begins to load but then goes to a flashing dash and nothing else. Any suggestions?

Robert Higuera

Jan 15, 2016, 12:09:14 PM1/15/16
to Remix OS for PC
BTW, what I did is just edit the syslinux.cfg file and added the following entry to give me the installation option.

label ubnentry3
menu label Installation - ^Install Remix OS to harddisk
kernel /kernel
append initrd=/initrd.img root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.selinux=permissive INSTALL=1 DEBUG=

jtal...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2016, 12:15:37 PM1/15/16
to Remix OS for PC
Mine is on a 64gb NTFS partition and I resized the data.img to 50gigs. It isnt a problem because the data.img is an ext2 filesystem image so it should work on any bootable partition that grub can work with.

Robert Higuera

Jan 15, 2016, 12:40:48 PM1/15/16
to Remix OS for PC
How did you resize the data.img file?

Everything Android

Jan 15, 2016, 12:43:23 PM1/15/16
to Remix OS for PC
Android x86 installer does that

Scott Quinlin

Jan 15, 2016, 12:46:35 PM1/15/16
to Remix OS for PC
ok good because I don't feel like breaking out the HEX editor lol

jtal...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2016, 12:58:03 PM1/15/16
to Remix OS for PC
I found instructions somewhere from a long time ago that used the dd command and something else in linux. The guide I used was for increasing it by 256mb but I just changed that number. Ill try to find it and if I do Ill reply a link back here or as a new topic probably.

jtal...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2016, 1:09:59 PM1/15/16
to Remix OS for PC
New topic for the guide

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/remix-os-for-pc/mZb3VcDFFOM

I didn't use the Android installer because it had many many issues. I originally used the USB tool to on my shitty 4gb flash drive then I copied it to a partition my external hdd which already had Ubuntu. Then added a grub entry and taada! Lot of work but it has a ton of space and is portable. Yey

COMPUTIAC USA

Jan 15, 2016, 1:40:31 PM1/15/16
to Remix OS for PC

  Everything Android,

  Thanks for the link and yes it worked for D/L.

  As I said the guide is confusing, can you simplify it so it is easier to follow ?

Everything Android

Jan 16, 2016, 12:26:34 PM1/16/16
to Remix OS for PC
I don't find it hard to follow. What part do you find hard?
Message has been deleted

Brad Cotner

Jan 16, 2016, 3:46:01 PM1/16/16
to Remix OS for PC

Scott Q

Jan 16, 2016, 3:48:47 PM1/16/16
to Remix OS for PC
cool and I'm sure others will love it.

I loaded the OS on the harddrive with win10 and dual booted. Set the storage to 70gb :) other than a few issues here and there this is a functional daily driver.

COMPUTIAC USA

Jan 16, 2016, 3:59:31 PM1/16/16
to Remix OS for PC

  Brad Cotner,

  What is this image for and what does it do ?

Brad Cotner

Jan 16, 2016, 3:59:55 PM1/16/16
to Remix OS for PC
I agree. This is extremley functional for an alpha release.

Brad Cotner

Jan 16, 2016, 4:04:38 PM1/16/16
to Remix OS for PC
I followed mca instructions in this thread to install to my ssd. He provided an 8gb and 16 gb image to increase size of data. I just made a 32gb data img.

Scott Q

Jan 16, 2016, 4:08:39 PM1/16/16
to Remix OS for PC
I used the android-x86 installer on EFI BIOS so I could keep Win10.

So far it's been pretty stable. A few apps not working are maps, and games using OpenGL3.1

Loving the desktop experience.

Also how can I see the app space and installed aps. My settings console only shows a list of apps and the space in words at the top.

COMPUTIAC USA

Jan 16, 2016, 4:11:43 PM1/16/16
to Remix OS for PC

  Brad Cotner,

  Thank you.

Robert Higuera

Jan 16, 2016, 4:13:34 PM1/16/16
to Remix OS for PC
@Scott go into file manager, then on the left hand menu, select "Settings" at the bottom. It will show you you're total space as well as the other info you are looking for.

Brad Cotner

Jan 16, 2016, 4:16:34 PM1/16/16
to Remix OS for PC
If you open the built in file explorer and click settings at the bottom it shows you a little more info on storage.

Scott Q

Jan 16, 2016, 4:19:48 PM1/16/16
to Remix OS for PC
ah I see, thanks!

Ok one more item, standby does not work. It goes into standby and then one second later the pc comes back up.

Brad Cotner

Jan 16, 2016, 4:30:23 PM1/16/16
to Remix OS for PC
Not sure there. My standby works exactly like sleep in windows. Same light turns on on the front of my laptop.

Brad Cotner

Jan 16, 2016, 4:32:12 PM1/16/16
to Remix OS for PC
I wonder if it has anything to do with your sleep settings in windows 10. I have noticed when I boot back and forth my clock settings in windows 10 are always messed up.
Message has been deleted

Robert Higuera

Jan 16, 2016, 4:35:03 PM1/16/16
to Remix OS for PC
It probably most likely has to do with acpi hardware compatibility (or more precisely, lack of).

Scott Q

Jan 16, 2016, 4:35:47 PM1/16/16
to Remix OS for PC
I am trying to sort it out, but so far no go.

OS states it has been up for 2+hours but no idea how much battery is left unless I go into Windows. This is the big one I am working on right now.

Scott Q

Jan 16, 2016, 4:42:30 PM1/16/16
to Remix OS for PC
wanted to add to my last post but Google Groups doesn't alow editing.

If you click a bunch on the Remix OS version in settings it turns on unstable versions update... Trying to figure out how to turn that off lol.

umercha...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2016, 10:51:37 AM8/23/16
to Remix OS for PC
I downloaded remix os 64 from official site...then extract the zip file...and got iso and installation tool...first i create a partition of 20 gb with ntfs format from disk managner...then use the remix tool it gave me two options 8gb or 16gb (recommended)...i select 16 gb ...it completed installation then asked for reboot and after reboot selected remix os from dual boot menu and complete further installation...it took some time but started and internal memory was 15.62 gb....voila

umercha...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2016, 10:51:39 AM8/23/16
to Remix OS for PC

nadeera...@gmail.com