Where to find or buy inexpensive new or used Hard Drive Destroyer/Punch?

Christian Mendelsohn @ Loaves, Fishes & Computers.

Sep 1, 2016, 5:44:17 PM9/1/16
to refurbishers
Hello Group.

We've been smashing hard drives with hammers that don't spin up and can't be wiped via traditional methods. We can't afford a motorized hard drive destroyer.

Does anyone have a lead on an inexpensive tool/punch that will do this for us?

Thank you.

Joe Nelson

Sep 1, 2016, 5:53:11 PM9/1/16
to refurbishers
Where are you located?

Joe Nelson
eWaste Direct, Inc.
FREE Online Business pick up request: CLICK HERE

Steve Bothwick

Sep 2, 2016, 8:08:38 AM9/2/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

We have a local recycler that has a shredder that shreds our drives for us (we now don’t keep anything less than 160 GB ; 80 GB Drives too small and way too old). We get paid per pound from our recycler for drives, system boards, RAM, Broken LCD, Power Supplies and more. Last year was about $25,000 from that source. We can also bring the drives over (cross town) and watch them physically destroy them – if need be – some institutions want to see the chain of custody we provide. Pulling the system board off a drive keep most people from ever seeing what’s on the drive and the systems boards are worth cash as well.

mche...@destructdata.com

Sep 2, 2016, 12:38:36 PM9/2/16
to refurbishers
No professional drive destruction tools are nearly as inexpensive as a hammer or drill, but of course, a professional tool is always a more desirable approach. We offer a manual hard drive punch for around $1000; less than a quarter the price of our most economical motorized units. Let me know if there's interest and I can provide a quote.

Best Regards,
Mike C.

Sarah Cade

Sep 2, 2016, 12:39:24 PM9/2/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com, mche...@destructdata.com

Hi Christian,

I would contact Mike Cheslock at DestructData I bet he can help you.

Have a great weekend all.

Sarah Cade | PC Rebuilders & Recyclers

4734 W. Chicago Ave., Chicago, IL 60651 |www.PCRR.com

 s...@pcrr.com | office: 773-545-7575 x 7003

Stay in touch: LinkedIn |  Facebook | Twitter | Our site

Sep 2, 2016, 2:36:11 PM9/2/16
to refurbishers
Thanks a lot for your time Mike. That's too much money for us at the moment. Have anything used? Or know where I can find something used such as government surplus? I guess I could buy a used drill press.

Christian Mendelsohn @ Loaves, Fishes & Computers.

Sep 2, 2016, 2:40:28 PM9/2/16
to refurbishers
Thanks a lot of the is valuable info. We need try and make sure the platters are crushed or the data wiped. I guess I could just buy a used drill press as hard drive punches are insanely expensive. We also can't drive things across town to anywhere and watch the Hard Drives get shredded because there isn't such a place and we don't have the transportation. I might look into if that's something we could do to make some extra cash for our 501c3.

PS: My roots are from NH. My mother still lives in Durham.

Christian Mendelsohn @ Loaves, Fishes & Computers.

Christian Mendelsohn @ Loaves, Fishes & Computers.

We've been smashing hard drives with hammers that don't spin up and can't be wiped via traditional methods. We can't afford a motorized hard drive destroyer.

Does anyone have a lead on an inexpensive tool/punch that will do this for us?

Thank you.

Tom Kunkel

Sep 2, 2016, 2:46:54 PM9/2/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
I am in need of (3) used Hard Drive d
Deguassers (with conveyor preferably). Please call me if you can provide.

Thanks,

Tom Kunkel
Nora Murphy Company

Sep 2, 2016, 3:12:53 PM9/2/16
to refurbishers
I found two possible solutions/inexpsneive tools at our local Harbor Freight I am going to check out in person and report back.

Steve Bothwick

Sep 2, 2016, 4:00:44 PM9/2/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

Hey Christian make sure your insurance company (liability), workers comp and even OSHA is in the loop on the plan to self-destruct.

Reach out to your local recyclers and see if they can help. Hopefully you are earning good money on recycling we are a small shop but are earning 20k a year on computer recycling and parts sales on eBay.

Here is a list I found of local recyclers in your area.

Please do visit us when you are up in NH

Steve

o   Vision Recycling

www.visionrecycling.com

1

139 Sun St, Salinas, CA 93901

(831) 479-7857

o   Salinas Recycling

Bing Local

2

316 Commission St, Salinas, CA 93901

(831) 758-5357

o   AMD Recycling

Bing Local

3

324 Kings St, Salinas, CA 93905

(831) 754-5639

o   GREEN WORLD RECYCLING CENTER

Bing Local

4

221 Prader St, Salinas, CA 93901

(831) 240-6117

Sep 2, 2016, 5:17:30 PM9/2/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

I noticed you can buy some pneumatic pumps reasonably and there are people who have turned them into hard drive punching machines with a bit of work.  I haven't looked into it further, but $300 is a whole lot better than the thousands some of them are.

We tried awhile back with a drill press but we found we went through bits like crazy. Might even try soliciting a donation of a pump or press... you never know who might help with a donation.

Christian Mendelsohn - LFC

Sep 2, 2016, 7:12:20 PM9/2/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a ton Steve. I will do research. We don't get paid for any of our material (we don't break it down nor do we have any doors big enough to wheel pallets in/out). We're happy when a certified collector comes here and can pick up our leftovers 1x/week.

-----------------------------
Christian Mendelsohn
Founder & Executive Director
LFC: Loaves, Fishes & Computers
938 South Main Street
Salinas, CA 93901
Office: 831.393.9260
Open: Tuesday - Saturday 11a-5p.

*LFC is currently seeking Board of Directors. We are expanding and need diverse expertise to help us continue to flourish and grow in our service to the community! Board Recruitment Flier HERE.

*Computers for $99, tech support for $10/hour & volunteer opportunities for people of all skills and ages.
*Please donate your computers, especially laptops to LFC.
*When you shop at AmazonSmile, Amazon could donate 0.5% of the purchase price to Loaves Fishes & Computers Inc. if you use the link above for all your future purchases.

Loaves, Fishes and Computers’ (LFC) mission is to help overcome the digital and economic divides by providing low-cost or no-cost computer systems, technology assistance and computer repair to low-income families, seniors, veterans, people with disabilities, and non-profit organizations, while providing volunteers a warm and welcoming place to learn, share & grow in the field of Computer Science & Information Technology.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/refurbishers.

Christian Mendelsohn - LFC

Sep 2, 2016, 7:14:00 PM9/2/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Charles. If the $70 tool from Harbor Freight does the job, it's worth it. We'll bring in a HDD into Harbor Freight to test it out on the display model.

--
Message has been deleted

Christian Mendelsohn @ Loaves, Fishes & Computers.

Sep 16, 2016, 4:43:47 PM9/16/16
to refurbishers
UPDATE:

LFC purchased this $135 12-ton press from Harbor Freight that obliterates HDDs.

The picture indicates what happens to HDDs after they are destroyed.