Win 10 Licensing problem

patrick chezzie

Jan 16, 2017, 2:48:54 PM1/16/17
to refurbishers
We just went online to get the key for our first win 10 install. The license key format xxxxx-xxx-xxx-xxx is the same as win 7, however the security key on the license sticker is a combination of 10 letters and numbers, but the input format is asking for a combination of 14. Are we doing something wrong?

BTW: I find it hard to comprehend why the group is associated with Tradeloop? I am finding that more and more 3rd party sellers are buying equipment and reselling on the internet. We and many other refurbishers depend on donations to drive our operations using MMR licensing, donations to the needy. Those resellers are taking those donations away from us, so why promote them?

Jim Lynch

Jan 16, 2017, 3:11:21 PM1/16/17
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

Patrick,

On Tradeloop, I’m the culprit. We needed to find a way to get our nearly 500 members to take their trades off of this listserv. It was clogging up our information exchange. We arranged to provide free membership for the refurbishers list members. Any better idea on how and where our members should do their trades?

Also on RRP issues like the 14 digit format question, please be sure and email rr...@microsoft.com, if you already haven’t. Sean Nicholson of Microsoft and his crew used to follow the discussions, but they’ve all left the MSFT refurbishment programs.

-jim

Sean Dion

Jan 16, 2017, 4:25:43 PM1/16/17
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

For what it is worth, for the past 2-3 months, I’ve been working with Microsoft to “fix” the new Windows 10 COAs so that the same scanner that we currently use to scan the original & new COAs will also have a security code that we can scan.  The latest batch of samples they sent to us DID work using the same scanner we currently use, so I think they are very close to putting those into production.  Don’t quote me on that though J  The original/first batch of samples DID not scan without us having to replace our scanner with one that reads QR as well as the standard barcode.

I’m hoping that we’ll see these new COAs in production very soon.  For us, it was a matter of accuracy and timing.  We found that processing 100-200 computers at a time and having to manually enter the security code was a nightmare.  Needless to say, we were very happy to have seen Microsoft’s willingness to address our concerns.

Sean Dion

TKO Electronics, Inc.

Education Division Director

31113 Via Colinas

Westlake Village, Ca. 91362

818-879-2233

818-879-2299 fax

sd...@tkoelectronics.com

aim: tkoSeanD

cid:image001.jpg@01CFEF6A.2C09DF10

https://www.marketpoint.com/img/HPE-Biz-Partner.jpg

hp-supplies-medallion

 cid:B5BF6CFB-AA99-4D38-A71D-3C3A1D37EDCB

https://www.marketpoint.com/img/Lex-Elite.jpg

Patrick Chezzie

Jan 16, 2017, 5:53:27 PM1/16/17
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jim,

I have not seen any items for ‘TRADE’ on Tradeloop. It is all for selling or for buying. For those of us that need donations to survive, third party sellers many of which are masking as ‘recyclers’ are misrepresenting themselves, and fall outside of Government controls for proper disposal. Consider that if they can’t sell their stuff, what do they do with it? Illegally dump it in landfill? Also, there is no separation on Tradeloop for Canada and USA, and it makes it difficult to find these people here in Canada. Paying in $US for MRR licences here in Canada is hurting us, as our dollar is worth considerably less than the $US, add to that shipping costs and import duties makes it impossible to operate or do business on Tradeloop. If people want to ‘TRADE’ only, then wouldn’t it be better to set up a ‘trading only’ website for MMR refurbishers? I am a member of the Lions Club and even trying to raise funds for the Lions from donations of equipment, cannot compete with the almighty dollar offered by third party sellers. They are stealing from our donors!

For those of us that need donations to survive, third party sellers many of which are masking as ‘recyclers’ are misrepresenting themselves, and fall outside of Government controls for proper disposal. Consider that if they can’t sell their stuff, what do they do with it? Illegally dump it in landfill?

All the small refurbishers I know -- and I know a lot of them -- give their scrap to certified recyclers.  This "illegally dump it in landfill" narrative is largely a myth intended to demonize small non-certified businesses.

 I am a member of the Lions Club and even trying to raise funds for the Lions from donations of equipment, cannot compete with the almighty dollar offered by third party sellers. They are stealing from our donors!

The irony here is that you seem to expect that institutions should give you their valuable merchandise for free, yet you are calling the people who are willing to pay what it is worth thieves?  Perhaps YOU are the one stealing, expecting to get it for nothing?

Patrick Chezzie

Jan 17, 2017, 4:20:33 PM1/17/17
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

Man, have you ever got the wrong idea! We, as LIONS, and refurbishers, hold public collection events during the spring, summer and fall, and we have tons of electronics donated to us. We refurbish what we can, and anything not refurbishable “IS SOLD TO A REPUTABLE PROCESSOR”, and the proceeds of those sales are 100% donated to local charities. Here, in Canada, we DO get free donations from businesses, local municipalities and the public, but more and more, third party resellers are offering to buy, and as we are charitable groups, donations make it possible to DONATE computer systems to the needy, simply for the cost of the MRR licenses. And hence the purpose of the Community Mar Licensing program.

Some third party sellers here do not fall under Government controls, and are free to dispose of their waste as they choose, and if they cannot sell it, where do you think it goes? Read up on the articles about illegal dumping of electronics, and the boat loads being illegally  shipped to third world countries. My friend, you are totally out of touch about what is happening in the REAL world. Do some research on the LIONS INTERNATIONAL, WITH OVER 3 MILLION MEMBERS, and how we serve our communities worldwide.

We, as Microsoft Registered Refurbishers, dispose of our waste properly, and we donate our desktop computer systems to the needy for $25.00, and it includes a flat screen monitor, keyboard, mouse and all cables and have windows 7/10 preinstalled and Microsoft office.

Third party resellers ARE robbing us of the ability to continue our programs, as DONATIONS are becoming more scarce. There you have it in a nutshell.