Locked SATA hard drives

jim....@comcast.net

May 7, 2015, 4:25:00 PM5/7/15
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
I receive hard drives in donated PC's and server and I reuse what I can whenever possible after wiping them.
I had some 500G and 1TB Seagate SATA drives come  in that are password locked. Anyone have any suggestions
about how to unlock them like with the secret master password? Cool

I hate to just have them shredded but I will if I can't get them  unlocked. Losing the data is not a problem as I need to
wipe them anyway. I use SeaTools to test drives and it fails every drive. When the PC boots up in BIOS, it flashes a
warning that the drive is locked before it even attempts to boot from the CDROM.

The drive wiping software I use just hangs up when it tries to load when any of these locked drives are installed. Frown

Anyway, any hints or helpful tips would be appreciated.

T H A N K S ! ! !

Jim Finch
JF Industries, LLC.
Microsoft Registered Refurbisher
"Golden Rule Recycling"
jim....@comcast.net
(404)-697-3996

Pat Furr

May 7, 2015, 5:11:41 PM5/7/15
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

We use Blancco 5 to wipe our hard drives.  Blancco 4 used to wipe the drives even though they were password protected only to find out later that they couldn’t be used.  The newer version lets us know before we try to wipe that the drive has a password.  We just Degauss the drives to remove any data as we haven’t found a way to remove the password.

Pat Furr

Chris Martin

May 7, 2015, 7:25:56 PM5/7/15
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

Jim

Parted Magic (a Linux distro customized for hardware testing and drive wiping) works pretty well when unlocking drives.

So well in fact, that I don't know if it is able to get past the password lock issue or not - because it just opens drives up for wiping and I don't see what you are seeing.

It also works well for encrypted and 'striped' raid drives, which I would think present similar problems to yours.

The distro only costs about 8 bucks - worth a try...

I'll bet Ryan from CO knows more on this thought...

Good luck!

Chris Martin

Founder of the Information Technology Exchange, PCs for MAINE program and Developer of SKILLS Inc's eWaste Alternatives program
www.itec3.orgwww.pcsformaine.orgwww.ewastealternatives.orgwww.buyite.com,  www.facebook.com/itec3maine

Cell: (207) 322-6257

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

Information Technology Exchange
156 Searsport Avenue, Belfast, Maine 04915

Confidentiality Notice: This communication (including all attachments) is intended solely for the use of the person or persons to whom it is addressed, and should be treated as a confidential communication of the Information Technology Exchange.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any further use, dissemination, copy, distribution, printing or disclosure of the communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender, return the original e-mail to us by mail and delete it from your system.  Your cooperation in protecting confidential information is appreciated.

Ryan

May 7, 2015, 11:40:10 PM5/7/15
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
Well... I guess I have to answer now. They can be unlocked but it does require a USB to low level data cable ( aka an old palm data cable thats been modified ) and understanding of the command interface of the Seagate harddrive. Usually lands in the job space of data recovery. I have done this before (weird I know) but only to understand how its done. If you know a data recovery person they can usually do it for you. Besides they have all the cool tools that make this way easier then my method.

Ryan from CO
Confidentiality Notice: This communication (including all attachments) is intended solely for the use of the person or persons to whom it is addressed, and should be treated as a confidential communication of the Information Technology Exchange.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any further use, dissemination, copy, distribution, printing or disclosure of the communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender, return the original e-mail to us by mail and delete it from your system.  Your cooperation in protecting confidential information is appreciated. --

racornett921

May 8, 2015, 12:10:03 AM5/8/15
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
Chris,

How do you use Parted Magic to unlock hard drive passwords? We use Secure Erase on Parted Magic for wiping and I've tried other programs on the CD to unlock drives with no luck. I have the current version.

Hope you can help us unlock some drives.

Ruth Cornett
Computers 2 SD Kids