RE: End of MMR win7 licences

patrick chezzie

Jan 6, 2017, 10:20:59 PM1/6/17
to refurbishers
I find myself in a pickle, as I have too many win7 licences left for the end of January cut-off. Will windows 10 run on older core 2 machines? Or will Linux have to suffice? I have been donating older Pentium 4 laptops and desktops with the Linux Chalet O/S on them, which mimics windows 7, and win 7 on core 2 and better. Does this mean that a lot of machines will now be subject only to Linux O/S's?

Seems that the MMR program should allow us to run out our win 7 licences without a cut off date. Anyone else find themselves in this same jar of pickles?

Charles M

Jan 7, 2017, 7:58:56 AM1/7/17
to Refurbishers Mailinglist
We're set to finish our spare Windows 7 licenses by the cut-off date,
but we made sure we didn't buy extras after the last MRR Update. In
our early tests we've had some success running Windows 10 on
Intel-based dual core systems (we haven't tried on the few AMD dual
core systems we have), but for us there's more to it than if it'll run
on the hardware, and I think it's important that Microsoft/the MRR
program consider a few of these things:

Windows 10 introduces a few more privacy issues that we have to look
into (what are the OS/apps sending and where?). Especially when it
comes to the people we serve we don't want a big gaping hole for
spying on users. What's indexed and is the indexing sent elsewhere?

Extra apps/fewer apps. A lot has been added and removed from the
default (thinking some of the default games) menu. How much do we
keep/delete from the new menu system? What's useful and what's
marketing fluff?

We're seeing from users who upgraded their Windows 7 install to 10
during the upgrade phase repeated reports of MS Office 2010 being
reported as old and requests for them to upgrade. Can we stifle these
on 10 since the MRR program doesn't have a new Office offering for the
Citizenship program?

There isn't quite the documented steps for Win 10 as there is for 7 on
the MRR portal. I know a few member have posted some videos, but
there's no single set of steps for Win 10 MRR setup documented on the
portal. We've used some of our past infrastructure to work out a
network boot/install solution, but we have a bit to go still.

I think 10 will actually go over well, but it needs a bit more time
because there's a bit more to consider than there was from XP->7.
> --

Charles McColm, Author: Instant XBMC,
Columnist: Full Circle Magazine,
Project Manager: The Working Centre Computer Recycling Project
Web: http://www.theworkingcentre.org/cr/
Blog: http://www.charlesmccolm.com/
Twitter/Identica/Google+: @chaslinux

Robert Toporek

Jan 7, 2017, 7:59:06 AM1/7/17
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
We have found that w10 runs fine on dual core computers even on p4
We essentially have given up on w 7 especially because of the ridiculous issue with updates