Introduction - Looking forward to working with you all!

deighan.james

Apr 22, 2014, 1:11:33 PM4/22/14
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
Good afternoon everyone!  I’m James Deighan from Second Life E-Cycling, located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.   A few months ago I joined this group after attending the ICRS conference (which was GREAT, for those of you on the fence about attending!).  We specialize in audio equipment, laserjet printers, home electronics, POS equipment, projectors, and any niche equipment not typically "focused on" in the electronics recycling industry.  We do work with computers and cell phones, like everyone else, but typically meet our clients helping to move product that has a more vague marketplace.

 My partner and I started on the resale side of the electronics recycling industry about two years ago as a pet project.  I finished my MBA about a year ago, and took the leap into doing this full time, selling my share of the health club I’ve owned and operated for the last decade.

I relate to stories like Pat, in the aspect that I am starting out from a room in my house. There is minimal capital, other than what I have put in out of my pocket.  We’re lucky that we have a few electronics recyclers to work with to keep some consistent cash flow.  At this point, we’re not taking a paycheck, but we are lucky to have two full time employees that we are able to pay.

You have all made a tremendous impact on so many people's lives. We have been blessed to have some local electronics recyclers, and some people we networked with at the ICRS conference (especially Sarah Commes!) give us some helpful tips along the way.

Right now, we are getting very good at refurbishing Laserjet printers, touch screens (simple capacitor repairs most of the time), laptops and networking equipment.  We are lucky to have connected with someone I knew via the health and fitness industry who is able to test most medical equipment for us as well, which has been great (at least in our area, it’s a challenge to test these pieces).

I wanted to introduce myself and connect with more of you.  Please let me know if you have any questions I can help you out, as I see a lot of new faces introducing themselves and asking questions.  For anyone interested in purchasing or repairing laserjet printers, please reach out!  If you’re an electronics recycler looking for someone to help resell “non-traditional” product (audio equipment, some home electronics, etc – typically pulled from scrap) we can help with that as well!

Please don’t hesitate to reach out if there’s anything I can help you with along the way, if it’s something we’re specializing in, I don’t mind sharing ANY information.