Windows 10 - SP2 already?

patrick chezzie

Jun 12, 2017, 9:32:22 AM6/12/17
to refurbishers
I just loaded win 10 on a laptop, and right away, it had to install a 4 gig update. That makes win 10 huge. What's up? I find it to be the slowest loading of all windows distros. I find that it is only suitable to run on an SSD HDD.

Sean Dion

Jun 12, 2017, 10:14:52 AM6/12/17
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
???
It runs perfectly fine on 4gb and machines as slow as Core 2 Duo.

Sean Dion
from my Android phone

Jun 12, 2017, 10:24:44 AM6/12/17
to refurbishers
Hi Sean, I just checked my installation, and it takes up 23 gig on the hard drive. Insane!

Sean Dion

Jun 12, 2017, 10:31:40 AM6/12/17
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
...but you don't have to have an SSD to run Win 10 efficiently.  For us anyhow, it runs just fine in SATA.  I think it performs better than Win 7 actually.

Sean Dion
from my Android phone

Sent: Monday, June 12, 2017 7:24:43 AM
To: refurbishers
Subject: [Refurbishers List] Re: Windows 10 - SP2 already?

Ryan

Jun 12, 2017, 8:50:53 PM6/12/17
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

I have found Win10 to be more resource efficient then Win7 in every case really. Start up times are better due to pre-caching on shutdown. Win8 and above finally uses a swap file (about time). Many system level refinements show up a sum total of improved reaction to user requests. The OS has warts of course but none that make me wish for a relapse of the old stuff. I'm biased as "One of those Linux only users" but I am glad to see Win10 with features I took for granted 10 years ago... Real command shell, multi desk, mosaic window view, etc. The 4GB update you had drop on you is actually a whole new version of Win10 aka Creator edition. Turn on defer updates to skip these early updates. It will show up later after the bugs get fully vetted by the public. To me "defer" translates to "on when stable for business use". Also, remember to add disable password rest timer in sysprep if you work with less experienced users.

Ryan Mc.

Patrick Chezzie

Jun 12, 2017, 10:57:59 PM6/12/17
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for your response Ryan, but a 23 gig win 10 O/S that is still not stable, versus a 4 gig Linux program, free from viruses and adware, and the fact that it loads faster, and is getting more user friendly, I am very quickly re-evaluating my licensing agreement with Microsoft in favor of Linux.

Hi Sean, I just checked my installation, and it takes up 23 gig on the hard drive. Insane!

On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 9:32:22 AM UTC-4, patrick chezzie wrote:

I just loaded win 10 on a laptop, and right away, it had to install a 4 gig update. That makes win 10 huge. What's up? I find it to be the slowest loading of all windows distros. I find that it is only suitable to run on an SSD HDD.

Sean Dion

Jun 13, 2017, 12:02:18 AM6/13/17
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
But nobody wants it, nobody uses it.

I'm for all the things that Linux means, but in the end it is VHS or Beta, pretty much.

Sean Dion
from my Android phone

Jun 13, 2017, 12:05:45 AM6/13/17
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
You are one knowledgeable dude.

Sean Dion
from my Android phone

Jun 13, 2017, 10:38:59 AM6/13/17
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

On the surface I see what you are talking about. However, true comparison is a vague reality. If your client base can find use of whatever option made available that is a good thing. I'm not in contention with anyone about the merits of any options that are available. I just think that the effort in improvement that has gone into Win10 for one reason or another are not realized. Major work has been done to refine windows... some of it is silly but not all of it. Comparing install on disk is an area that should be done carefully for example. Windows now has a page file and a swap file. Linux usually has a swap partition. This muddies the water on comparison. If you have 4GB of mem installed swap could be +/- 4GB. Page files same story sometimes. So the 23GB usage stated is not the OS core files as your 4GB linux base set may be. Comparing any OS products at the surface level details is dangerous and mis leading without context and understanding. Let cheer for each products merits and help each other solve the issues they both have but comparing them to each other can be unfair like compare two of your children...each are unique.

Ryan Mc.