Will Windows 10 Reactivate after July 29?

Joe Grane

Jun 9, 2016, 5:09:09 PM6/9/16
to refurbishers
Will PCs upgraded from Windows 7--with MAR key--to Windows 10 reactivate after July 29 in the event of a hard drive failure and a Win 10 reinstall?

Joe

Joe Grane

Jun 13, 2016, 1:44:14 PM6/13/16
to refurbishers
No one has any thoughts on this?

Ryan

Jun 13, 2016, 9:05:24 PM6/13/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
My understanding is as follows. I welcome corrections of course. They (MS) has not been clear but if you look at the details here's what I get.

When you upgrade a qualified Win (7, 8 , 8.1) sticker to win10 it becomes a win10 license (after 30 days you should not be able to revert to previous OS version).

Reactivation will be automatic if hardware has not changed. Same as win8 and above did it.

The license is titled as an "upgrade entitlement" license. Valid on that machine and configuration only. I have run into situations as stated. I had a machine that had a failing HD months after upgrade and I needed to change it. Reactivation did not work but a quick online chat with MS help corrected the issue.

I feel that MS is going to honor all upgrades and reinstalls in the future. They are trying to shed the burden of maintaining legacy products as long as they have. They are offering the best option they can to help people move away from older product and on to their single platform model. This is a major change that should have happened a decade ago. Now it is.

A side note/tip for those dealing with COA less Win8 and up machines. Here is the command to recover the license from the EFI/BIOS/DMI/WMI (whatever you want to call it!). This is useful if people bring in machine's for upgrade and hardware need to be replace before doing a win 10 imaging for upgrade rights.

cmd window (as administrator):

wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get 0A3xOriginalProductKey

On no COA machines this should return the original 5 of 5

You can use this command in win 10 to get original 5 of 5. Useful for bare metal upgrades.

Ryan Mc.