Demise of win7 licences

patrick chezzie

Apr 5, 2017, 4:00:28 PM4/5/17
to refurbishers
Today, Microsoft cut me off windows 7 licences that I had left. As a small refurbisher, and with sales slow because of the time of year, I just lost $360 on the MAR licences I had left.

I cannot afford this loss, and with windows 10, an awful operating system, I think I will stick to installing Linux Chalet. It mimics windows 7, and will be supported until 2021.

I hope no one else got caught with their pants down.

Christy Ramsey

Apr 6, 2017, 1:41:41 PM4/6/17
to refurbishers
We got 6 here. Did I miss the memo? Where should I be looking?

Patrick Chezzie

Apr 6, 2017, 6:27:17 PM4/6/17
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

Try registering them.

Charles M

Apr 8, 2017, 4:23:55 PM4/8/17
to Refurbishers Mailinglist
Patrick do you get the Microsoft Quarterly newsletter? It's been in
that newsletter several times (for over a year). The end date for
registering was actually January 31, 2017. We're in the same boat in
that many of the people we work with don't want Windows 10 (on the
other hand we also had some that requested 10 before it was available
in the channel), but we've been also building Linux machines since
2001 so it's never been an issue we couldn't work with. I think we
finished all our licenses 1 week before the January 31st deadline.

You're in Toronto area aren't you? Might be able to help with respect
to drumming up some business for you on the Linux side, you're welcome
to contact me off list.

Charles, chas...@gmail.com
> --

Charles McColm, Author: Instant XBMC,
Columnist: Full Circle Magazine,
Project Manager: The Working Centre Computer Recycling Project
Web: http://www.theworkingcentre.org/cr/
Blog: http://www.charlesmccolm.com/
Twitter/Identica/Google+: @chaslinux

Sean Dion

Apr 8, 2017, 7:29:03 PM4/8/17
to Refurbishers Mailinglist

In our experience, Windows 10 is simple a better OS.  It seems more stable (fewer blue screens), seems to run on most machines we get in the off lease stream, and it finds most drivers without fail.

If you like the look and feel of Windows 7 because your users aren't looking forward to learning something new, simple install Classic Shell on it and they won't even know they are running Windows 10.

Sean Dion
from my Android phone