Neverware CloudReady - Converting old computers into a Chromebooks

Jim Lynch

Jun 16, 2016, 7:51:31 PM6/16/16
to refurbishers
Speaking of alternative OS's, Neverware's CloudReady converts old computers into Chromebooks. This is a big deal because over half of the schools market are now Chromebooks. The OS is free for home use - in other words to try out.

Find a Computerworld pros and cons piece by JR Raphael at:
http://www.computerworld.com/article/3036161/cloud-computing/cloudready-convert-old-computer-into-chromebook.html

-jim

Christian Mendelsohn @ Loaves, Fishes & Computers.

Jun 25, 2016, 7:45:14 PM6/25/16
to refurbishers
Thank You Jim. We have been experimenting with CloudReady over the last month and find it wonderful so far. I emailed Neverware to ask them if we can use it in house at our non-profit for free, and here is their very kind response:

Forrest Smith (Neverware)

Jun 25, 17:01 EDT

Christian,

It sounds like you are doing great work out there in California - Neverware is happy just to be a part of it.

When working with computers which you plan to provide for individual use, there is no need to pay for CloudReady. The free version
 is available to anyone for any use.

The only things missing from the free version are official support and access to Google's Management console for central management of the computers - which it sounds like you don't need.

So you are more than welcome, even encouraged, to use the free version of CloudReady as widely as you like. We're happy to have it be a tool your organization uses to do some good.

Best,