RE: win7 updates

patrick chezzie

Jun 8, 2016, 10:11:30 AM6/8/16
to refurbishers
Does anyone know if there is a place to get the 200 or so updates for win7? My customers keep calling me because they are unable to update even hours after starting windows update. And as some of my fellow IT people have told me, win 10 has tracking software built in, hence they and my customers are foregoing the win 10 free upgrade.

Pat Vickers

Jun 8, 2016, 10:23:21 AM6/8/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
Since Microsoft want's people to move to 10 there is no incentive for them to make 7 updates more convenient, or even possible. I have been telling people that since MS will stop supporting 7 soon they should probably move to 10 while it is still  free. I'm a bit tin foil hat like about 10 myself but the truth is most of us tell facebook, apple and google everything about oursleves and everywhere we go, through our phones, if not our postst. There seems little reason to keep the info from MS.

I do recommend not using email addresses to long into 10 and just using local users.

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 10:11 AM, patrick chezzie <pad...@rogers.com> wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a place to get the 200 or so updates for win7? My customers keep calling me because they are unable to update even hours after starting windows update. And as some of my fellow IT people have told me, win 10 has tracking software built in, hence they and my customers are foregoing the win 10 free upgrade.

Steve Bothwick

Jun 8, 2016, 10:53:52 AM6/8/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

Microsoft has created a Windows 7 x32 and x64 post SP1 rollup all Refurbishers should run on their image they use one or if you do it the old way apply it to PC’s you are shipping.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/05/17/simplifying-updates-for-windows-7-and-8-1/

I also understand that MS changed URLs for update and the common way to update is broken, this is a link to fix that

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/windows-update-issues/en-us

Patrick Chezzie

Jun 8, 2016, 11:51:18 AM6/8/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

I downloaded the rollups for SP1, but when I ran the X64, all I get is ‘windows standalone installer’ looking for updates on the computer. How is this supposed to install the packages?

Santi Castro Olivares

Jun 8, 2016, 12:00:58 PM6/8/16
to refurbishers
Hi Patrick,

First
run Windows6.1-KB3020369-x64
then run AMD64-all-windows6.1-kb3125574-v4-x64

regards,
Santiago Castro Olivares

patrick chezzie

Jun 8, 2016, 1:11:01 PM6/8/16
to refurbishers

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 10:11:30 AM UTC-4, patrick chezzie wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a place to get the 200 or so updates for win7? My customers keep calling me because they are unable to update even hours after starting windows update. And as some of my fellow IT people have told me, win 10 has tracking software built in, hence they and my customers are foregoing the win 10 free upgrade.

I have now run both X86 and X64 versions on computers, and they both came back saying they were not applicable to those computers. Is this process fantasy? It has turned out to be a real joke!

Santi Castro Olivares

Jun 8, 2016, 1:20:21 PM6/8/16
to refurbishers
That happened to me too, returned the next day to try and it worked properly.
It is inexplicable, but it was so.

James McGrath

Jun 9, 2016, 12:42:27 PM6/9/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
Santi

There are a couple of free programs that are supposed to help.

The first simpler independent one is called Ninite  https://ninite.com/accessible

The Microsoft one uses a server and is called Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) and can can be downloaded from Microsoft Downloads https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb332157.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396
I think the explanation at Wikipedia is good. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Server_Update_Services

Hope this helps
jmcgrat3

Miroslaw Turon

Jun 9, 2016, 5:09:09 PM6/9/16
to refurbishers
Here: http://download.wsusoffline.net/. Run UpdateGenerator first to get all the updates, and then, on the computer you wish to update, run UpdateInstaller.exe in the \wsusoffline\client folder.

James McGrath

Frank Adams

Jun 9, 2016, 5:09:09 PM6/9/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

We use Ninite…. It’s really good..   Plus if you have the task scheduler run it weekly, your clients don’t deal with updates that confuse them!

Frank Adams,  Executive Director

Cincinnati Computer Cooperative

49 Novner Drive

Cincinnati OH 45215

(513) 771-3262

http://c3computer.org/

Like Us on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/CincinnatiComputerCooperative

Public Hours Wednesday 6-9 PM, Saturday 9-noon.

Jun 9, 2016, 5:09:09 PM6/9/16
to refurbishers
 I cannot see my previous post so there it is again. Download this: http://download.wsusoffline.net/ and run UpdateGenerator to update, check Service Packs in Options if you wish to get service packs. After this run \wsusoffline\client\UpdateInstaller.exe, on the computer you wish to update. Its a offline process to get all the updates.