Recycling batteries for R2

Brendan Schmolz

Mar 25, 2015, 1:55:49 PM3/25/15
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

How is everyone recycling batteries for R2 Standards, we have some questions about how to properly label them.

If anyone has any experience doing this for R2 please point me in the right direction or  email me directly if possible so we could  talk about it, any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank You!

Brendan Schmolz

cid:image001.jpg@01CA0140.6D721C10

RET3 Job Corp.

Microsoft Registered Refurbisher

1814 East 40th St.

Cleveland, Ohio 44103

Office:  1-216-361-9991 EXT: 102

Fax:  1-216-361-9989

www.ret3.org

MS_rgb_Registered-Refurb_Blk-300x192

The above communication contains information from RET3 JOB CORP INC that may be confidential and/or privileged. Except for personal use by the intended recipient, or as expressly authorized by the sender, any person who receives this information is prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, and/or using it. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately delete it and all copies, and promptly notify the sender at the above telephone number or electronic mail address. Nothing in this communication is intended to operate as an electronic signature under applicable law.

image001.jpg
image004.png

Angela F Haas

Mar 25, 2015, 2:34:06 PM3/25/15
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

Someone told me they are allowed to throw them away, is that true? Even if R2 certified?

Thanks

Mar 25, 2015, 2:36:32 PM3/25/15
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
Our recycling agent pays us by the pound.

Sent from my Windows 8.1 Phone

Mar 25, 2015, 4:25:36 PM3/25/15
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
You can't throw them away as batteries can pop while being crushed, and spark.

Alkaline batteries I believe need all connections taped off and stored seperately to be sent to proper downstream.

Big batteries like the ones found in UPS's can be stored and stacked on a pallet so long as no connections have contact with any other batteries and that there is think cardboard insulating each layer of the batteries.

Hope this helps!

Nick Mann
Warehouse Manager
Second Life E-Cycling
 -

Nancy Jo Craig

Mar 25, 2015, 4:54:11 PM3/25/15
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
R2 lists batteries as a focus material and must be labeled as such. See EPA webpage for batteries that are listed as Universal Waste-these must have a start date and cannot be kept longer than one year.

We recycle all our batteries with R2 2013 downstream vendors and follow the throughput to end of life.

Lithium primary batteries can cause a fire if not stored properly. We tape ours so they cannot touch each other. Other batteries that can cause spontaneous fires are 9 volts. We tape these as well. Better safe than sorry and have your business burn down. You can watch scary videos of fires caused by batteries on YouTube.

Nancy Jo Craig
CACRC

Brendan Schmolz

Mar 25, 2015, 6:09:02 PM3/25/15
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
We already sort all the batteries out and tape off the connections for CMOS button batteries we lay them on a piece of painters tape and tape the other side as well to form strips of batteries other batteries such as the sealed lead acid are on pallets with the connections taped off as well.

My main question is how is everyone labeling them for r2 standards, from what we have been told in the past is that they need to have a NON RCAA REGULATED WASTE LABEL a UN ACCEPTANCE CODE, and a US DOT HazMat Placard. Such as number 9 for miscellaneous and 8 for corrosive on the boxes we are storing and shipping in. Is this how everyone else is doing it? Does anyone know the correct UN code to use for all the different types of batteries?

image1.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone

<image001.jpg>

RET3 Job Corp.

Microsoft Registered Refurbisher

1814 East 40th St.

Cleveland, Ohio 44103

Office:  1-216-361-9991 EXT: 102

Fax:  1-216-361-9989

www.ret3.org

<image004.png>

Nancy Jo Craig

Mar 26, 2015, 7:28:41 AM3/26/15
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
I think it just needs to be labeled as an FM and universal waste, type of battery and start date. We don't use  a UN code. My auditors and consultants over the past 3 years have never advised that.  Nancy Jo Craig. CACRC

Angela F Haas

Mar 30, 2015, 3:02:07 PM3/30/15
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
then I'm confused. How does an R 2.ycling facility KEEP certification if it tells its residents and commercial customers to throw the batteries away and specifically told me today that that's also what they do. And just throw them in the trash.

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 1:45 PM, Nick Mann <nich...@secondlifeecycling.com<mailto:nich...@secondlifeecycling.com>> wrote:
You can't throw them away as batteries can pop while being crushed, and spark.

Alkaline batteries I believe need all connections taped off and stored seperately to be sent to proper downstream.

Big batteries like the ones found in UPS's can be stored and stacked on a pallet so long as no connections have contact with any other batteries and that there is think cardboard insulating each layer of the batteries.

Hope this helps!

Nick Mann
Warehouse Manager
Second Life E-Cycling
nich...@secondlifeecycling.com<mailto:nich...@secondlifeecycling.com>
615-715-0927
[-]

________________________________

[cid:image0...@01CA0140.6D721C10]

RET3 Job Corp.
Microsoft Registered Refurbisher

1814 East 40th St.
Cleveland, Ohio 44103
Office: 1-216-361-9991 EXT: 102<tel:1-216-361-9991%20EXT%3A%20102>
Fax: 1-216-361-9989<tel:1-216-361-9989>
www.ret3.org<http://www.ret3.org/>

[MS_rgb_Registered-Refurb_Blk-300x192]
The above communication contains information from RET3 JOB CORP INC that may be confidential and/or privileged. Except for personal use by the intended recipient, or as expressly authorized by the sender, any person who receives this information is prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, and/or using it. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately delete it and all copies, and promptly notify the sender at the above telephone number or electronic mail address. Nothing in this communication is intended to operate as an electronic signature under applicable law.

image001.jpg
image004.png

Pat Furr

Mar 30, 2015, 3:59:07 PM3/30/15
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
Angela,
I'm sure that our accrediting agency would be interested in investigating the practices of the R2 company you contacted. Batteries must be handled correctly to receive and maintain the R2:2013 designation as they are considered Focus Materials. If you want to send me a note off-list and identify the program, either you or I can follow through with Seri http://www.sustainableelectronics.org/ to let them know about this egregious error.
Pat Furr
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to refurbishers...@googlegroups.com.

Angela F Haas

Mar 30, 2015, 4:25:03 PM3/30/15
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
Which email should I send it to?
Thanks

Mar 30, 2015, 4:56:19 PM3/30/15
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
You can send me a letter of concern about the R2 certified program, explaining what you were told. I'll make certain it gets forwarded to the right party with SERI so they can follow through with your concerns. Those of us who are R2:2013 certified want to make certain that (1) the organization is currently certified and (2) if they are giving out incorrect information they will either follow the strict requirements of R2 or have their certification revoked.

Pat Furr

Apr 1, 2015, 1:06:00 PM4/1/15
to refurb...@googlegroups.com