SAS Drive Wiping

Brian Fox

Mar 7, 2017, 2:39:10 PM3/7/17
to refurbishers
Hey All,

We've used Dban, parted magic, blanco, white canyon, etc over the years as we've tried to figure out the best ways to wipe hard drives.  All with about the same level of success, especially with SATA/IDE.  Currently we use Parted Magic and sometimes DBAN.  We're also creating a custom wiping software solution.

Unfortunately theres been issues with SAS drives.  I've kinda been putting it off, but now I have a little time now and the main issue i keep having is certain(known good) drives aren't recognized by certain brands of servers.  For instance if its not on the dell certified list, I cannot see the hard drive on our dell r420 server, therefore I cannot wipe it.  But it sees and wipes certified dell drives just fine.  I've tried it with an HP and I've come across similar issues.  Also I want to note that I could not wipe any NETAPP drives, I could see them in RAID config bios, but could not do anything to them in any server.  I talked to folks at NETAPP and they said that without the original system, they are locked.  Has anyone else run into this issue?  Anyone find a work around?

In general I was just hoping to see if anyone has tackled SAS drive wiping and what route they chose.  We are thinking that we either have a few different brands of systems to wipe a majority of drives or we are thinking of making a custom server with a RAID controller.

Any thoughts are highly appreciated.  Thanks!

Ryan

Mar 7, 2017, 4:16:40 PM3/7/17
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

We use a generic non-RAID multiport SAS card to wipe SAS drives. Just as Sata and IDE drives can be locked so can SAS. In a few cases I've seen Apple and HP (probably others) drive's firmware will be non standard and tailored to the device it will be used in. Enterprise storage is a funny business.

Joe Nelson

Mar 7, 2017, 5:26:22 PM3/7/17
to refurbishers
This is who we use. We made our own server with this software. It works great.

Joe Nelson
eWaste Direct, Inc.
FREE Online Business pick up request: CLICK HERE

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/refurbishers.

mche...@destructdata.com

Mar 8, 2017, 2:29:28 PM3/8/17
to refurbishers
Hi Brian,

Yes, SAS (and any other SCSI protocol) drives come with their own set of complexities, ranging from HBA dependencies to non-standard block sizes and a number of other issues.  Let me know if you're unable to solve this - obviously this is precisely the kind of issue DestructData solves and we will almost certainly have a solution; likely even available on short-term rental.

Best,
Mike C.

Curtis

Mar 8, 2017, 3:41:35 PM3/8/17
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

Hello Mike:

Are you able to wipe and format NETAPP SAS drives, also known as Hitachi drives?

Please let me know.

Thank you,

Curtis