Right to Repair Laws Passed in Five States

Jim Lynch

Feb 10, 2017, 11:38:04 AM2/10/17
to refurbishers, Kyle Wiens
Thanks to the organizing efforts of iFixit and repair.org, Right to Repair bills have now been passed in five US states. This means that manufacturers are now required to sell replacement parts to independent repair companies and consumers in those locations, in addition to making their service manuals public. Kansas, Minnesota, Massachusetts, Nebraska, and New York now have the legislation, which covers more than just smartphones but any device which uses software.

http://www.androidauthority.com/right-repair-bills-passed-five-states-consumer-win-744873/

A big thank you all of you have been active on this and to Kyle Wiens of iFixit for his incredible leadership.

-jim

Kyle Wiens

Feb 10, 2017, 1:44:35 PM2/10/17
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
Well, I hate to be a downer but the news isn’t quite that good. These states have *introduced* legislation, but it hasn’t passed yet. We have a long hard road ahead to actually get them passed.

I’ll get the reporter to fix the story. This story is more correct:
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/five-states-are-considering-bills-to-legalize-the-right-to-repair-electronics

But it could happen, and we’re closer than ever. We need your help to get legislation passed!
https://repair.org/stand-up/
https://newyork.repair.org/
https://minnesota.repair.org/
https://wyoming.repair.org/
https://nebraska.repair.org/
https://kansas.repair.org/

Refurbishers in each of those states (particularly Minnesota) have been instrumental in getting us this far. We need everyone to get engaged to take this over the finish line. Call your representatives! Write letters! Tell your customers about it. The industry needs to unite to protect our livelihoods.

Cheers,
Kyle Wiens
iFixit CEO
@kwiens

> On Feb 10, 2017, at 9:00 AM, Jason J. Mather <jaym...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Fantastic! Great work!
> --
>

> --
> Jason J. Mather
> 239 Washington Ave. #3
> Brooklyn, NY 11205
> Cell: 917.459.5841

Jim Lynch

Feb 10, 2017, 2:12:39 PM2/10/17
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the clarification, Kyle. Sorry for the alternative facts. I guess I just wanted to get on the bandwagon. Also, my apologies to my friend, Lorraine Kerwood McKenzie, who already posted the news on Facebook.

I’d like to add that if our members would like to join repair.org to get this to done, find the link at: https://repair.org/join

-jim

Jim Lynch

Feb 13, 2017, 2:48:38 PM2/13/17
to refurbishers, ggb...@repair.org
I just spoke to Gay Gordon-Byrne, the Executive Director of the Digital Right to Repair Coalition. She reports that Tennessee and Illinois just filed Fair Repair bills as well. She asks that any of us wanting to help out on this effort go to https://repair.org/stand-up/ and contact your state legislator and explain a bit about how repair is essential to your work and those you serve. If you can say anything about creating jobs, that's probably the most compelling argument these days.

-jim
    > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to refurbishers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/refurbishers.
    >
    >
    >
    > --