Data Destruction Validation

Brendan Schmolz

Apr 8, 2015, 9:02:30 AM4/8/15
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

I think this topic has been covered before, but what is everyone using for Validation of Data Destruction for R2 purposes?

We are currently using a program called Get Data Back and running a sample of some of the wiped drives from Blancco through it to see if we can get any data recovered.

Brendan Schmolz

cid:image001.jpg@01CA0140.6D721C10

RET3 Job Corp.

Microsoft Registered Refurbisher

1814 East 40th St.

Cleveland, Ohio 44103

Office:  1-216-361-9991 EXT: 102

Fax:  1-216-361-9989

www.ret3.org

MS_rgb_Registered-Refurb_Blk-300x192

The above communication contains information from RET3 JOB CORP INC that may be confidential and/or privileged. Except for personal use by the intended recipient, or as expressly authorized by the sender, any person who receives this information is prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, and/or using it. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately delete it and all copies, and promptly notify the sender at the above telephone number or electronic mail address. Nothing in this communication is intended to operate as an electronic signature under applicable law.

image001.jpg
image004.png

Willie Cade

Apr 8, 2015, 9:06:01 AM4/8/15
to refurb...@googlegroups.com, Michael Cheslock

Friends,

I use a “Validator” by destruct data.  We take a few once a month and do a complete run.  The nice part is that it understands that there is a “tattoo” or record of the wipe on the first sector.  It is fast and easy.

I have copied Mike from destruct data if anyone wants to talk to him.

Willie Cade | CEO |  PC Rebuilders & Recyclers

  4734 W. Chicago Ave., Chicago, IL 60651 |www.PCRR.com

 wil...@pcrr.com | office: 773-545-7575 x 7002

cid:image003.png@01CF4834.C1787530

  Stay in touch: LinkedIn |  Facebook | Twitter | Our site

  Join us in New Orleans Nov. 2-4, 2015 | http://www.ereuseconference.com/

Tom Kunkel

Apr 8, 2015, 9:40:59 AM4/8/15
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brendon,

Have you ever found data resident after the Blancco wipe?

Thanks,

Tom

Apr 8, 2015, 11:04:16 AM4/8/15
to Refurbishers Mailinglist
We've tried recovering data from a wiped drive (3 pass) using foremost, a tool written by the NSA with no success. We also tested foremost against one of our own systems where we originally installed Windows and then installed Linux (only formatting) and foremost recovered a lot of original Windows files (even though the drive currently had Linux installed). It just goes to show how ineffective formatting/reinstalling an OS is.

Charles McColm, Author: Instant XBMC,
Columnist: Full Circle Magazine,
Project Manager: The Working Centre Computer Recycling Project
Web: http://www.theworkingcentre.org/cr/
Blog: http://www.charlesmccolm.com/
Twitter/Identica/Google+: @chaslinux

Willie Cade

Apr 8, 2015, 1:58:12 PM4/8/15
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

Friends,

Here is a report that we do every quarter for hard drive validation.

Let me know if you want any clarification.

--

Validator Report Worksheet.pdf