HP 8300 BIOS Update

Sean Dion

Jun 13, 2018, 6:21:16 PM6/13/18
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

This can’t be true, can it?

My team is suggesting that to do a BIOS update on an HP 8300, Windows has to be installed.  I thought the whole purpose of a BIOS was to save settings regardless of whether or not the computer works, has a HDD installed, etc.

Is there a way to insure we install the latest BIOS without going through the trouble to update the BIOS inside of Windows?

I’m specifically referring to the HP 8300 for this inquiry, but I imagine they might have the same issue with the 4th Gen HP 800G1, etc.

Sean Dion

TKO Electronics, Inc.

31113 Via Colinas

Westlake Village, CA 91362

PH: 818.879.2233

FX: 818.879.2299

sd...@tkoelectronics.com

TRILLIAN: TKOSeanD

SKYPE: sd...@tkoelectronics.com

timbered

Jun 14, 2018, 6:39:55 PM6/14/18
to refurbishers
There needs to be some way to boot the system to be able to run the BIOS update process, but it doesn't have to be Windows. Depending on how the update process is set up to run, in theory you could boot to DOS off a USB drive and update that way. If the update process itself only runs under Windows, I would assume it could probably run under WinPE, which can also be booted from a USB drive. No hard drive required, much less "installing" Windows.

I am not familiar with HP specifically, but wherever you downloaded the update from should document what it runs under. For example, Lenovo used to release several versions, for Windows, DOS and Linux.

T.