Central PA Open Source Conference - Nov 4, 2017

Phil Shapiro

Oct 4, 2017, 4:56:25 PM10/4/17
to ctcnet, inclusion, refurbishers, liberat...@lists.stanford.edu, Stuart Keroff, Don Watkins, Charlie Reisinger
Fellow refurbishers and digital inclusion activists,

      For those who might be interested, I'll be presenting a workshop at the Central PA Open Source
Conference in Lancaster, PA, on Nov 4, 2017.   http://cposc.org/    https://twitter.com/CPOSC

    I'll be talking about how I buy very affordable laptops on eBay -- install Linux on them -- and resell
them at the same price to community members in the town where I live and work -- Takoma Park, Maryland.

   It's my little way of bridging the digital divide. I also provide free tech support for these laptops - via my public library job.

    The title of my talk is -

 "Linux Laptops via the Public Library"

     I'll be sharing tips on how I locate deals, such as this $20 Dell laptop I bought.

     And these other laptops I bought -

     And this all-in-one desktop I bought for $20.

         Kindly pass along word about this workshop to anyone you know who might be interested
in attending. Naturally, folks from Philly, Baltimore, DC, Delaware, NJ, and NYC would find a drive to Lancaster, PA, quite do-able. (Lancaster is centrally located -- it's a former capital of the United States.)

        I'm especially hoping to get some public (or school/college) librarians to attend --
as well as classroom teachers, community builders, education equity activists, open source enthusiasts, etc.

             Phil

Oh, and I'll be giving away a Corei3 laptop to one of the people who attends my presentation.

I paid a fortune for it. (About $40.)   Admittedly, the sound doesn't work on this laptop, but in
other respects it runs fine.

Phil Shapiro, psha...@his.com
http://www.his.com/pshapiro/briefbio.html
http://www.twitter.com/philshapiro
http://www.his.com/pshapiro/stories.menu.html

"Wisdom begins with wonder." - Socrates
"Learning happens thru gentleness."
"We must reinvent a future free of blinders so that we can choose from real options."  David Suzuki