RE: WSUS install problem

patrick chezzie

Jul 14, 2016, 11:32:17 AM7/14/16
to refurbishers
I am trying, for the first time, to use WSUS. After running and after many reboots, it has only installed 4 updates, and now seems to be stuck at KB2830477.

I was under the impression that the install process would be fluid, but this is not the case. Any suggestions please.

Paul Nijjar

Jul 18, 2016, 2:31:48 PM7/18/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

This week our WSUS updates got super-slow again. It looks like there
is yet another update to the Windows Update Client that is necessary
in order for clients to update at reasonable speeds, regardless of
whether they are using WSUS or regular Windows Update.

The update has the memorable name of KB3161608 . Installing this
update before trying to do mass updates appears to help.

Here are two good links about the situation. The Superuser link looks
like it is updated whenever there are changes, so I will be keeping an
eye on that one the next time our update process bogs down.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3086811/microsoft-windows/microsoft-releases-kb-3161647-kb-3161608-to-fix-slow-windows-7-update-scans.html

and

http://superuser.com/questions/951960/windows-7-sp1-windows-update-stuck-checking-for-updates

I do not know whether this will fix your specific problem, but it
definitely bit us this week.

In my experience using WSUS is not dramatically better than using
regular Windows Update, except that you have better control over which
updates you install, and if you have a constrained internet connection
you might save bandwidth.

- Paul