"When a Chromebook becomes a family lifeline"

Phil Shapiro

Jun 22, 2017, 4:59:20 PM6/22/17
to inclusion, refurbishers

Friends,

  Here's a new article I wrote that might provide some food for thought.

           Phil

Phil Shapiro, psha...@his.com
http://www.his.com/pshapiro/briefbio.html
http://www.twitter.com/philshapiro
http://www.his.com/pshapiro/stories.menu.html

"Wisdom begins with wonder." - Socrates
"Learning happens thru gentleness."

Robert Toporek

Jun 22, 2017, 5:56:52 PM6/22/17
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
Great article

Terry Scott

Jun 22, 2017, 8:40:52 PM6/22/17
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
Nice article, Phil.  In mid-March we received 1800 chromebooks as a donation from a school district that was going to Windows laptops for their students.  We recently finished freely distributing all the working Chromebooks (about 1600) to low-income students and their families in our area.   The Chromebook is a terrific machine for this purpose.

Terry Scott
Director
2nd Chance Computer Refurbishing Modesto
Providing students with computers at no cost -

Joseph Rossetti

Jun 25, 2017, 4:13:41 PM6/25/17
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I am a member of this board but I never post or write e mails I just read this article and I liked it very much.  I had a legal question about selling old computers with either an android os, or the chromium os "cloud ready" or linux.  I some times acquire old desktops and laptops from friends.  Most are windows xp machines but now I am starting to get some vista machines.  I would like to clean them up and repurpose them and sell them to low income people.  More as a hobby not a full time business.

So my question is this.  Right now I have an old desktop 3 gigs of ram vista os amd 64 live sticker on the front.  Is it legal for me to install cloud ready and turn it into a chromebook, or remix os and make it an android box.  Last but not least.  Can I install windows 10 downloaded from Microsoft's web site install it with out entering a key and sell it unactivated??

I do not want to become a refurbisher because I just don't think I will be doing that many machines.  Just looking to do a few here and there.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks Joseph

Jun 25, 2017, 9:17:33 PM6/25/17
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

The best answer to this question is to read the licensing agreement for the products you choose to offer. Linux (as in desktop OS flavor) are usually licensed to distribute and use as you see fit (as is no warranty). Chromium OS (it is Linux based) falls under the same licensing concept as Linux OS mostly. Again read the license terms FIRST!! Your last idea is in my opinion a disservice to those you are trying to help. I believe standard activation licenses for Win10 Pro going this route is $150 or around that. I hope someone else on the list can agree or correct me on anything I've stated here.