Rethinking the Vulnerabilities in a Data Wiping Process

mche...@destructdata.com

Apr 4, 2017, 2:11:01 PM4/4/17
to refurbishers
Hello all!  I recently completed a White Paper exposing some of the most under-acknowledged vulnerabilities that we've discovered and analyzed over the past several years in various data wiping processes - serious data breaches, how they were caused, and how they can be prevented.  In short, it has become increasingly clear that many in the industry focus on some of the least-important elements of a data wiping operation while overlooking some of the factors that are much more likely to result in a breach.  It turns out that, often, we're simply asking the wrong questions about data wiping policy and procedure.

If you are interested, you can find the White Paper here, or on our White Papers page: http://www.destructdata.com/white-papers/

Best,
Mike C.

Christy Ramsey

Apr 5, 2017, 12:06:42 PM4/5/17
to refurbishers
Very good paper. Thanks for creating and sharing it here. I know I have been sucked into various discussions (and cussing) above various software programs and settings. I don't believe I've had one tenth of the time or attention focused on the vulnerabilities you rightly highlight. The process needs attention and review, not just the program.

mche...@destructdata.com

Apr 5, 2017, 1:15:55 PM4/5/17
to refurbishers
Hi Christy, thank you for checking it out, and for your response.  You could not be more right; our attention is largely misplaced when it comes to non-destructive media sanitization.

I am actually expecting to speak on this exact topic at the Electronics Reuse Conference in the fall.  While it can certainly be complicated to develop secure, repeatable and scale-able data wiping processes, (and it can require experience and time to get it right without excessive cost), it all starts with understanding that the importance of the process supersedes the importance of the tools involved.  My hope is that discussions like this serve to add recognition to that fact.

Thanks again!