Horrible Windows Updates Process

Sean Dion

Sep 27, 2016, 4:07:44 PM9/27/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

I’ve heard rumblings from a few refurbishers that they are having difficulty with updates.  We too are seeing it take 10-12 hours to get updates that once took us an hour or two.

Does anyone have any server-based solutions where we could upload all the updates – ALL OF THEM – and then, as we build our images based on the model and OS variations, we could just grab them – instead of each and every time we need to build a new image we have to spend 12 hours to get all the updates?

Sean Dion

TKO Electronics, Inc.

Education Division Director

31113 Via Colinas

Westlake Village, Ca. 91362

818-879-2233

818-879-2299 fax

sd...@tkoelectronics.com

aim: tkoSeanD

cid:image001.jpg@01CFEF6A.2C09DF10

http://www.marketpoint.com/img/Partnerlogos.png

Patrick Chezzie

Sep 27, 2016, 4:29:15 PM9/27/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

Hi Sean,

Why didn’t someone think of this before? WSUS offline works, but it takes forever and has to be restarted a number of times. Something to do with the installation order of the processes. A very welcome idea indeed.

image001.jpg

Ryan

Sep 27, 2016, 4:47:30 PM9/27/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

Either this month or next month. All win7 updates are accumulative update bundles like win10. Treat them like a service pack to that month. WSUS and others are overkill from this point on. The struggles with updates are related to the change over to the new updating system. There are many articles around the web that talk about this change and how it affects system building.

Ryan Mc.

Sean Dion

Sep 27, 2016, 4:52:35 PM9/27/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

So you are suggesting we bear through this until 10/31/16 at which point, what is going happen to fix this?  Windows 10 takes forever to update too.  It isn’t just the Windows 7 machines – although we still sell way more Win 7 machines than Win 10.  Heck – I sold a Win 8.1 machine yesterday.

Sean Dion

Sep 27, 2016, 4:53:34 PM9/27/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

The whole point is to try to remove the “it takes forever” out of the equation J LOL

Ryan

Sep 27, 2016, 6:38:31 PM9/27/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

I hear exactly what you are saying. I maintain a rolling image that I update every 30 days and rebuild once a year. The update problems hit me hard as well. I applied last months updates and have not had the same issues lately. If you are building a fresh image from scratch then you may need to apply up to 7 years worth of updates. I usually rebuild the install iso with updates added to the wim every January each year to keep it fresh. Your mileage may vary but I've had better performance after last months patches. This months patch Tuesday updates went very quickly and without issue. From everything I have read due to the monthly headache, points to changes in how updates are delivered. The final switch over is stated as happening now. From what my images did with this months patches it was working better for me. I'm sure all of us that maintain image sets feel the same frustration.

Ryan Mc.