New Microsoft scam?

patrick chezzie

Sep 20, 2016, 11:34:15 AM9/20/16
to refurbishers
I received this email today, and after trying to access my account, it wouldn't accept my password, and promised to send me a code to recover my account. Is this legit?

Microsoft account

Security alert

We think that someone else might have accessed the Microsoft account pa*****@rogers.com. When this happens, we require you to verify your identity with a security challenge and then change your password the next time you sign in.

If someone else has access to your account, they have your password and might be trying to access your personal information or send junk email.

If you haven't already recovered your account, we can help you do it now.

Recover account

Learn how to make your account more secure.

Thanks,

The Microsoft account team

Jim Lynch

Sep 20, 2016, 9:43:07 PM9/20/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

Patrick,

I checked with the folks at MSFT, and it appears to be legit. Clicking on that link (account.live.com) brings you to your Microsoft Account page where you can change your password. It’s also VeriSign certified as MSFT. They say it’s OK.

-jim