HDD data recovery??

Jim Finch

Jun 7, 2018, 2:09:20 PM6/7/18
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

I am working with a young man from Guatemala that is a singer / song

writer and sadly his hard drive with all his data on it has failed. It is a

Seagate 2TB SATA drive that was in a small external case. The connector

to the inside of the case was broken off the tiny internal logic card.

The connectors on the HDD do seem to be intact. I put in it an external

docking station to see if the drive would spin up and possibly work.

The drive seems to spin up but I am hearing the clicking noises that

I normally associate with drives that have failed and the laptop would

not recognize the drive in the docking station.

Does anyone use a data recovery service that they would recommend

and that doesn't cost an arm and two legs?

Thank you for the help!!

Jim Finch
Smooth Stone Ministries International, Inc.
"Golden Rule Recycling"
jim....@comcast.net
(404)-697-3996

Lou August

Jun 7, 2018, 5:00:03 PM6/7/18
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim,

I've heard of people freezing hard drives.  Put it in a ziplock bag to prevent condensation, put it in the freezer, take it out and quickly connected it, then try to get the data off before it warms up.

I've never tried it before but I've heard people say it sometimes works.

Good Luck!

Lou August
Executive Director
Wilderness Technology Alliance (WTA)

Michael Cheslock

Jun 8, 2018, 9:28:49 AM6/8/18
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

“Click-of-Death” is usually a sign of a failed read-head (or in rare cases, a malfunctioning actuator arm).  Forensics will be needed on that one, so it’s likely to be costly.  Kroll and CPR Tools are pretty good, but no one is cheap.

Mike Cheslock | Co-founder

1495807917821_sig_logo.png

p: (800) 913-7650 ext. 701

e: mi...@eReuseServices.com

w: Conference | Network | Services

Lou August
Executive Director
Wilderness Technology Alliance (WTA)

Pat Vickers

Jun 8, 2018, 2:07:22 PM6/8/18
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
I've used the freezer trick. It usually doesn't work but a few times it did. It's not so much about the cold. It's about the contraction and expansion the change of temperature causes. It can free up a frozen disk, at least temporarily. If it starts working start copying asap because it will probably fail again soon.

Lou August
Executive Director
Wilderness Technology Alliance (WTA)

w...@the-wes.com

Jun 11, 2018, 12:09:54 PM6/11/18
to refurbishers
Depends on what you value arms and a legs at. I have used 1 data recovery service and they charged about $550 as I recall. gillware.com.

Best of luck!

-wes