shredder recommendation?

Charles Brennick

Jun 13, 2016, 5:21:45 PM6/13/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

Refurbishers,

We are about to invest in a hard drive shredder and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good one?  Ideally, it would be 110 volt so we could easily take it on site.  It seems Amerishred is the main vendor of this type of shredder but I’ve heard varying reviews.  What’s the best hard drive shredder out there for low-volume, onsite shredding?

thanks

************************
Charles Brennick
(
206) 310-4547 direct line
www.interconnection.org

3415 Stone Way N
Seattle, WA 98103

Robert Toporek

Jun 13, 2016, 6:12:51 PM6/13/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

Does anyone know what is going to happen to the computers we are loading with Windows 10 using Windows 7 license

Brian Fox

Jun 14, 2016, 1:48:12 PM6/14/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
We got the ameri-shred ams-300hd-ssd.  We felt that investing in something that takes on SSD's the best bet.  Voltage requirements do kinda suck, but even their lowest model still needs a 20amp circuit, which is easy to find at most industrial businesses, same with 3 phase.  That said we've found that those clients are rare and really what we end up going to are medium sized businesses or outside events that:

1) don't know their voltage/amperage info,
2) are in an office complex that is hard to get the shredder into in the first place(they are a nightmare to roll around or so heavy elevators can't take em)
3) won't let you use building power
4) require hoops and extra insurance to use building power
5) are outside therefore need a generator

  Therefore we always bring a generator with anyway.  A couple thousand more for the shredder and the generator ends up being the added cost.  Also get the fork holds for it.  The darn things are a PAIN to roll around.

Anyway this is our experience in LA, happy to hear other people thoughts.

Brian Fox
General Manager
Certified: R2 | BCorp | ISO 14001 | OHSAS 18001
Connect with usWebsite | Map | Request Service | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Pat Furr

Jun 14, 2016, 2:17:35 PM6/14/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

At Computers for Classrooms we have entered into an active role in providing data destruction for a fee.  We have rejected the use of a shredder for environmental reasons and use two products from Garner Industries. The Degausser removes data from non-solid state drives.  We then use a Data Destroyer that folds the hard drive in half. We also have the optional attachment  to destroy solid state drives, flash drives, memory cards, etc.  Once the chips have been broken, no data can be recovered.

Both devices are portable and allow for data destruction on site.  We furnish documentation listing the serial numbers of the drives, the date of destruction, method of destruction and operator’s name and signature.  This provides an excellent documentation for an audit trail.  Businesses, hospitals and governmental agencies are willing to pay for the security and peace of mind of having the data destruction on site.

We provide the services for hospitals and other companies where data security is vital.  It has been a good income producing service that also encourages the users to donate higher end equipment to our program.  There is an ever-increasing demand and can be an alternate income stream when commodity prices fluctuate.

Pat Furr

Nancy Jo Craig

Jun 14, 2016, 2:20:15 PM6/14/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
At the CACRC we use the Data Destroyer as well. And charge fee for service.
Nancy Jo Craig

Brian Fox

Jun 14, 2016, 3:47:53 PM6/14/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
Right on thats great perspective.  Its a huge price/portability different for sure, but either way if the right people are paying for it and its becoming a good income stream.  Plus it gives us piece of mind when sending the random hard drives we get downstream.  A shredded or crushed HD presents zero liability.

 We were thinking of getting the data destroyer and probably will in the future for smaller jobs.  That said our events out here are fast paced and the data destroyer isn't fast enough for what we needed.  Its at least half as slow.  With the Data Destroyer if you have to swap out platters mid session for usb and ssd I'm sure that'll take more time.  I haven't had experience with the Data Destroyer, but it'll probably take 2-3x as long according to specs.

Our shredder chugs thru about 200-300 an hour.  If we had the conveyor it'd be about 20% more.  Most of the time is spent unloading the filled bins which fill up after 15-25 drives.   One other positive is that with the shredder you don't really need to remove most server platters either.  It just eats right thru them.  Other things to consider, the shredder can do tapes and other random proprietary devices.  It came in handy when we had to deal with some IP camera stuff.

Hows the maintenance on the Data Destroyer?  That was another positive with the shredder, you basically oil it every 10 hours and thats it...
Also what were your environmental concerns?  Dust?  We did reviews and felt that it was just fine, but I'm wondering if you have perspective Pat.  Thanks so much.

Brian Fox
General Manager
Certified: R2 | BCorp | ISO 14001 | OHSAS 18001
Connect with usWebsite | Map | Request Service | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Joe Nelson

Jun 14, 2016, 3:54:06 PM6/14/16
to refurbishers
Food for thought. It typically takes about 4-5 screws to get the board off the back. Those are going for $8-9/lb. Then you can still crush/shred the platters.

Thanks

Joe Nelson
eWaste Direct, Inc.
FREE Online Business pick up request: CLICK HERE

Pat Furr

Jun 14, 2016, 4:04:15 PM6/14/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

I can understand your decision would depend upon the volume you are handling.  We haven't considered shredders mainly because of employee concerns although we haven't investigated buying one.  We handle each drive when gathering the serial numbers and creating reports so the speed of destruction is not that critical.
To date, the lack of a shredder hasn't been a concern as far as we know.  Our clients have been satisfied after we have met with their data security managers and explained our procedures.
Several hospitals have drives accumulating in their basements since they are unsure of how to get rid of them safely.
Pat