RE: win 7 updates

Patrick Chezzie

Apr 18, 2016, 7:57:14 PM4/18/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

Seems Microsoft has done it again. Released windows 10 without thoroughly testing it, and feverishly writing updates for it. When will they learn, and take a lesson from Apple? If they had come out with a service pack 2 for windows 7, they and us could have avoided all these problems. Does no one at Microsoft have ANY foresight? After all, the basic architecture for windows hasn’t changed in decades.

Ryan

Apr 20, 2016, 1:24:22 AM4/20/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
An update to the update related issues many on this list may be having.

I discovered a posting on the culprit in this problem...At least it worked for me on my master images and a couple custom images I use in my organization. There is a security update that fixes the forever wait for windows update on windows 7. It isn't listed as a fix for this issue but it does fix it. Download KB3145739 for the appropriate arch (x86 or x64) from Microsoft's website. Install it. Reboot and run windows update. The update list appeared in a more appropriate time frame and I was able to complete my April-2016 patch Tuesday updates FINALLY! I hope this helps everyone having this issue.

Here are the links:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=51853 <-- x64 aka 64bit

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=51857 <-- x86 aka 32bit

And a forum post on bleeping computers talking about this issue:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/611172/windows-update/

Ryan Mc.

Joe Grane

Apr 20, 2016, 11:14:14 PM4/20/16
to refurbishers
Ryan, thanks for the post.

We installed KB3145739 on a half dozen or so mostly 32bit units.  They had been imaged with a WIM image that had updates and various Windows Update fixes from February 2016.  All of the units running that image updated in a timely manner after receiving the KB3145739 update! : )

A P4 ht machine imaged with a 2015 image that did not contain various Window Update fixes did not update in a timely manner after receiving KB3145739, so apparently KB3145739 itself will not likely be the complete fix for computers running a clean install of Windows 7 . from DVD.

Back in late January I found a combination of fixes that allowed our computers to get updates; however, when the February updates came out, they no longer got updates in a timely manner.   So I'm not assuming we have a real fix until the units can get future updates.

Joe
Teamchildren

Ryan

Apr 21, 2016, 11:03:36 AM4/21/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
I'm glad to know it worked for others as well. I never considered anyone doing a from scratch test. I would have assumed that would not be enough. However, I do believe this helps our issues with updating images that are fresh within the last couple months. Thank you for confirming your results were similar to mine.

Paul Nijjar

Apr 23, 2016, 7:12:28 PM4/23/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

I can confirm that the update helps. I started with two Windows 7 x64
fresh installs that had been patched with KB3138612 (the Windows
Update patch from March). I then installed KB3145739 on one machine
and left the other alone. Then I ran our Windows Update scripts (which
use our local WSUS server).

The unpatched machine took 97 minutes to complete updates.
The patched machine took 61 minutes to complete updates, for a savings
of 36 minutes.

I then reinstalled the machines and repeated the test, but this time
patching KB3145739 on the other machine.

The unpatched machine took 107 minutes to complete updates.
The patched machine took 70 minutes to complete updates, for a savings
of 37 minutes.

The two tests might not be comparable to each other because I may have
messed up the endpoint measurements, but the differences between the
patched and unpatched machines seems sound.

I think the combination of KB3138612 (which helps with memory
consumption) and KB3145739 (which somehow helps with speed, even
though it is labelled as a graphics security update?!) is a good
combination to slipstream into installs.

It appears that somebody at Microsoft has been working hard to address
these update problems, which is a relief. I hope that things work
smoothly from this point forward.

- Paul