Request for Opinion: Windows MultiPoint Server

Christian Mendelsohn @ Loaves, Fishes & Computers.

Apr 19, 2016, 5:40:37 PM4/19/16
to refurbishers
Greetings Everyone,

We have been approached to setup a computer lab consisting of 20 refurbished computers to teach coding on.

The teacher would like to use software that can control, interrupt, blackout/pause activity of end user's computers when the teacher speaks. I thought Windows MultiPoint Server might be a good start, especially because it has "Disk Protect"

Has anyone used Windows MultiPoint Server

If so, do you like it? is it easy to install using complete computers as the client (computer, monitor and all peripherals) & not thin cleints/computer-less setup?

In your opinion, is it easy for a new teacher to hop on and figure out the admin computer's dashboard/controlling features/easy to navigate/intuitive?

Do you have any other suggestions of software that could be used to accomplish our goal?

With many regards to all,
Christian
Loaves, Fishes & Computers
Salinas, CA

Jim Lynch

Apr 19, 2016, 5:49:19 PM4/19/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
Christian,

Charles Brennick at Interconnection.org in Seattle is our expert on Windows MultiPoint Server. They have done several installations and presented on it at the Electronics Reuse Conference.

Charles Brennick
3415 Stone Way N
Seattle, WA 98103

-jim

Christian Mendelsohn @ Loaves, Fishes & Computers.

Apr 19, 2016, 7:11:19 PM4/19/16
to refurbishers
Thank you Mr. Lynch. Mr. Brennick already was kind enough to write me.

Alex Tabony

Apr 19, 2016, 8:29:21 PM4/19/16
to refurbishers

We did a MultiPoint Server setup under Jim's watchful eye as a test. He had me select, smart but non-technical staff people to do so. They were able to put it together and make it work with little difficulty. After the setup test we continued to use it and within the limited scope it worked fine.

We did notice that video performance was not as good as a stand-alone system so watching videos or some of our animated training materials did not work as well as well as would have been ideal. But other than that it worked fine.

We did not use the management features you mention so I can’t comment on that.

We ended up putting it into storage a while back since the area it was setup in was taken over by student projects or I assume we would have continued using it.

Christian Mendelsohn @ Loaves, Fishes & Computers.

Apr 20, 2016, 5:24:07 PM4/20/16
to refurbishers
That's great insight. My decision has been made. Thanks Alex, again.