Saturday is Chico Electronic Reuse Day

Pat Furr

Apr 22, 2015, 2:53:11 PM4/22/15
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

Thanks to Charles Brennick we liberally borrowed his great idea that he implemented in Seattle.  Our Mayor and City Council were very supportive of the idea and we plan to continue it in future years.  On Saturday we are offering Free drop-off, Free hard drive wiping, and we will be giving a Free Web-Cam for all Qualified purchases of Desktops and Laptops on that day only!

It sounds like fun.

This listserv is wonderful in that so many are willing to share ideas and help others improve their operations!

Pat Furr

Proclamation Chico 4-25-15.pdf

Angela F Haas

Apr 24, 2015, 2:26:59 PM4/24/15
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

​We have done this several times in the past years and it has generated a ton of support, we don't offer the free webcams, we do the wireless upgrades or office upgrade free but it definitely brings in the customers.

We also do one other large event in August. any surplus printers, keyboards, ink, internal cards, dvdrw etc we have left (usually two tables) we offer free to the community. we also discount all of our desktops and laptops by about 30% and we get all over the media. Brings in between $8-10000 fri and Saturday and usually wipes us out of all our laptops, tablets and desktops. We usually also offer a "Free" items with purchase like first tech support session or diagnostic session etc.

We call it the back to school free and discount sale.

Apr 24, 2015, 4:15:52 PM4/24/15
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

We would like to setup a deal with all of those groups who offer tech support in or around your state/city.

We are contracting with some large tech companies to provide Support in MO but they have needs in other states. We would like to add you to our list.

You get 100% of the pay on the work. Please let me know if you are interested. Your techs must have at least 3 years of experience or be A+ certified or better for at least 1.

Thanks

Angela

Pat Vickers

Apr 24, 2015, 4:27:27 PM4/24/15
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
I am A+ Certified, in Louisville, Kentucky and would be interested in doing a bit more tech support.

James Deighan

Apr 24, 2015, 6:57:47 PM4/24/15
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
We have mostly been a resale entity for other recyclers and just recently started having small events.  Can anyone fill me in on what the limitations are and requirements for the Department of Environmental Protection?  We don't really do any tear down or demanufacturing (we just fix and sell computers).  We bring our waste to local recyclers and get sustainability certificates for recycling.  Can anyone give me any other information from their experience(s)?

I've heard from a fellow local refurbisher in the past, that they had a bad experience with some fines from a recycling entity who didn't want any competition in that arena getting them fined.  We're not handling any material that's toxic (CRTs, batteries, light bulbs, microwaves, etc).  I called a DEP rep about a year ago, and resale and refurbishment don't pose a problem.

My concerns are in holding a community event.  When we hold small events, we receive a lot of desktops that are older than you can imagine.  We refurbish candidates that meet certain criteria, and bring the rest to a local recycler.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! :-)

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 6:24 PM, James Deighan <deigha...@gmail.com> wrote:
We have mostly been a resale entity for other recyclers and just recently started having small events.  Can anyone fill me in on what the limitations are and requirements for DEP?  We don't really do any tear down or demanufacturing (we just fix and sell computers).  We bring our waste to local recyclers and get sustainability certificates for recycling.  Can anyone give me any other information from their experience(s)?

Pat Furr

Apr 24, 2015, 7:20:10 PM4/24/15
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

The laws vary greatly depending upon the state you are operating in.  In California we need to apply to be a collector or handler through the DTSC (Department of Toxic Substance Control).  There are limits on the number of pounds and number of CRTs you can collect before needing to become authorized to do so.

We also wipe all donated hard drives to protect the data on all media that is donated.  If you want to get involved, please educate yourself on the proper ways of handling hazardous materials.  You should also know the organizations you are giving them to.  As R2:2013 Certified recyclers, we have to know where all the donations are going.  If you can work with an R2:2013 recycler in your area, they should be able to help you find out what is needed in your state.

Pat Furr

James Deighan

May 8, 2015, 12:20:41 PM5/8/15
to refurb...@googlegroups.com