Resale of OEM Restore Discs

Sam Lakhani

May 23, 2016, 5:40:46 PM5/23/16
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
Good day everyone,

I came across a deal where someone had a few hundred pieces of authentic oem dell windows 8 restore usb flash drive and oem dell windows 10 restore usb flash drive. There was no COA key. I was advised that It's only used for reinstalling the OS as long as you have a valid COA with key and the key should be valid for activation. The drive looked very much the same as pictured here:

and

My question to the community is, is this something okay to resale on eBay or is this only for OEM manufacturers to sell? I know for system builders, microsoft has programs like Registered Refurbisher.

I steered away from it as I didn't want any hassles down the road, but I figured I can check with you all here and see if anyone has come across this before or not.

Thank you for your time and looking forward to your feedback.

-Sam

Ethan Hubbard

Jun 9, 2016, 12:47:06 PM6/9/16
to refurbishers
The COA, the installation using the original restore media & the actual media (whether original partition, disc, or in this case thumb drive) must all be included together. Usually the media says something related to "not for resale" or "for distribution only with a new pc".

I always err on the side of caution when it comes to MS licensing. There's a lot of gray area.