Vulnerability in Win 10

patrick chezzie

Oct 21, 2017, 9:33:31 PM10/21/17
to refurbishers
I have recently encountered a problem on multiple client computers running windows 10. When one tries to access the start menu, it says "Critical Error. Log off and we will fix the problem when you log back on". But the problem is NOT fixed. I have Googled the internet on many sites, and in the Microsoft Forum, an IT expert says there is no work around for this error, and that Microsoft engineers have been trying to solve the problem with no luck. In my experience, the common thread that I have found, is a Malware item called "Mindspark".It comes up on every win 10 computer with this problem. Why would Microsoft go to a new platform, if existing malware and Trojans do the same, if not worse, damage to systems? I find win 10 very unstable for this reason alone, and obviously Microsoft released win 10 too soon, as there is now a 4 gig update. Speaking of which, is the RRP planning to send us new software in the form of SP2? It takes a long time to install the main program, never mind waiting for the 4 gig update. And shoving win 10 down people's throats when they don't want it, has turned a lot of my customers away, in favor of getting a Mac. People have had just about enough of Microsoft, and so have I!

Charles M

Oct 21, 2017, 10:09:36 PM10/21/17
to Refurbishers Mailinglist
Hi Patrick. I think we're not too far from each other (an hour or so),
hopefully one day we might be able to get together and trade notes.

One of the solutions we use for updates is a program called
WSUSOffline. WSUSOffline is a program you can run to download updates
for Windows 7/8.1/10 and various Office versions:
http://download.wsusoffline.net/

What we did was download WSUSOffline to one of our Linux servers
running SAMBA (but it could just as easily be a Windows server). SAMBA
lets Linux share files with Windows users.

When you download WSUSOffline there are 2 programs you run:

The first program you run to choose which updates you want to download
to your server (in our case the Linux SAMBA server). Because we still
support Windows 7 clients we usually select Windows 7 and Windows 10.
The first program is just for downloading the updates to your server.

The next program is in a folder off the main wsusoffline folder called
client, and as it suggests you would browse on the Windows machine to
that folder and run the update program to pull all the updates you
downloaded to your server down to the client computer.

This way you are just downloading from the Internet once to the
server. You can then connect as many Windows clients as you want to
your server and run the program to pull the updates from the server to
each client.

We still build both Windows and Linux machines (we install and support
Xubuntu). If you contact me off-list I'd be happy to help when I can.

Cheers!

Charles
> --

Charles McColm
Blog: http://www.charlesmccolm.com/
Twitter/Identica/Google+: @chaslinux

Patrick Chezzie

Oct 21, 2017, 10:43:15 PM10/21/17
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charles,

I am just a little guy with no server(s) in Keswick, Ontario.. I use WSUS offline to download the updates, but I cannot find anywhere, hoe to install them. After running the downloads, windows update wants to run the same updates again, making WSUS redundant. I make a master drive and clone it when installing on multiple machines, saving a lot of time and internet usage. I started donating my computers to low income families, just for the cost of licensing, and have had a lot of trouble trying to get donations from the local schoolboard and hospitals, so I am constantly running out. I'd love to get together with you to trade notes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,

Patrick, Computer rescue
---