Installing Linux Chalet! UGH!!!

patrick chezzie

Nov 28, 2017, 2:12:30 PM11/28/17
to refurbishers
I was recently given 24 grade "A" 32 bit Everex Stepnote NC1502 laptops, on which I am trying to install Linux Chalet. They have 2 gigs ram, 160 gig hard drives and 1.7 ghz. Chalet installs very slowly, but when up and running, I cannot change the screen resolution. I tried running  'Sudo Apt-Get Install Mesa-Utils' And it said the latest version was installed. It also runs very slow, as it screams speed on any other machine. Is this a machine that is not capable of running Linux? Windows 7 runs great on them, but we all know what happened there. Windows 10 is an abortion, and will not run well on these machines either. They originally ran Vista 32 bit. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks to all.

Phil Shapiro

Nov 28, 2017, 3:29:20 PM11/28/17
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for asking, Patrick.  I use a lightweight desktop, XFCE, when I install Linux, and it runs very fast.  I'm currently using Linux Mint 18.2 xfce -- and within two weeks Linux Mint 18.3 xfce ought to be out.

    Here's a video I made showing Linux Mint 17.1 xfce running on a 2002 Dell laptop. It runs surprisingly well.

               Hope this helps. Do send any follow-up questions that come to mind.

                     Phil Shapiro, Public Geek
                     Takoma Park Maryland Library

I was recently given 24 grade "A" 32 bit Everex Stepnote NC1502 laptops, on which I am trying to install Linux Chalet. They have 2 gigs ram, 160 gig hard drives and 1.7 ghz. Chalet installs very slowly, but when up and running, I cannot change the screen resolution. I tried running  'Sudo Apt-Get Install Mesa-Utils' And it said the latest version was installed. It also runs very slow, as it screams speed on any other machine. Is this a machine that is not capable of running Linux? Windows 7 runs great on them, but we all know what happened there. Windows 10 is an abortion, and will not run well on these machines either. They originally ran Vista 32 bit. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks to all.

Phil Shapiro, psha...@his.com
http://www.his.com/pshapiro/briefbio.html
http://www.twitter.com/philshapiro
http://www.his.com/pshapiro/stories.menu.html

"Wisdom begins with wonder." - Socrates
"Learning happens thru gentleness."
"We must reinvent a future free of blinders so that we can choose from real options."  David Suzuki

Charles M

Nov 28, 2017, 3:48:46 PM11/28/17
to Refurbishers Mailinglist
Patrick I suspect the (slowness) problem is two-fold, the VIA C7 CPU
and the VIA Chrome 9 graphics chipset. Most laptops generally have one
of Intel, AMD/ATI, or NVidia graphics. Detailed specifications for the
system are here:
http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/Everex_StepNote_NC1502_NotebookPC-Detailed_Specifications.pdf

Patrick yours looks to be a slightly better model of the same NC1502.

If Chalet is based on Ubuntu you might try:

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-openchrome

Or

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg-video-openchrome

If I remember correctly a lot of VIA C7 CPUs were used for Android
boxes, but they weren't so popular as a PC processor, primarily
because who's going to write for yet another graphics chipset.
> --

Charles McColm
Blog: http://www.charlesmccolm.com/
Twitter/Identica/Google+: @chaslinux

Patrick Chezzie

Nov 28, 2017, 9:14:36 PM11/28/17
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

Hi Phil,

I have been trying to install Linux Mint on the Everex computer, but it seems no one has written a video driver for Linux. It is taking forever to install in software rendering mode without video hardware acceleration. It is a Via C7 CPU. Maybe that is why I cannot change the video resolution in Linux Chalet. It seems I am only left with reinstalling Vista. Yuk!

Thanks for asking, Patrick.  I use a lightweight desktop, XFCE, when I install Linux, and it runs very fast.  I'm currently using Linux Mint 18.2 xfce -- and within two weeks Linux Mint 18.3 xfce ought to be out.

    Here's a video I made showing Linux Mint 17.1 xfce running on a 2002 Dell laptop. It runs surprisingly well.

               Hope this helps Do send any follow-up questions that come to mind.

Phil Shapiro

Nov 28, 2017, 9:33:42 PM11/28/17
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

wow, that's a toughie, Patrick. the only other think I can think to try is one of the Linux operating
systems that turn a computer into a Chromebook -- via a bootable USB Flash drive.

Here's some info on that --

   Do send any follow-up questions (or results) that come to mind.

                 phil

You can buy SanDisk USB Flash drives on eBay quite cheaply if you search for: "Lot of USB Flash drives"

    In case you're located outside of the United States -- I'll can make the purchase on eBay for you. I'd just
ask to be reimbursed for my costs, plus postage.

Nov 29, 2017, 2:09:28 PM11/29/17
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

Hi Phil,

These Everex laptops are proving to be quite a challenge. I downloaded the chromium O/S with special drivers  (as per Terry Scotts’ answer), formatted a 16 gig jump drive and flashed the drive with Etcher as per instructions. I then set the computer to  boot from the flash drive, and the Everex screen comes up and stops. No boot. When I plug my flash drive into my win 7 laptop to see if there is anything on it, and it wants to format it. Any ideas? Is it possible that Etcher is not making the jump drive bootable? Thx, patrick

Terry Scott

Nov 29, 2017, 2:26:29 PM11/29/17
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
A couple of possibilities -

1. Does this computer boot other flash drives?
2. Will this flash drive boot on other computers?
3. Are you using the correct version - 32bit vs 64bit

--Terry Scott

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/refurbishers.

Phil Shapiro, psha...@his.com
http://www.his.com/pshapiro/briefbio.html
http://www.twitter.com/philshapiro
http://www.his.com/pshapiro/stories.menu.html

"Wisdom begins with wonder." - Socrates
"Learning happens thru gentleness."

"We must reinvent a future free of blinders so that we can choose from real options."  David Suzuki

Phil Shapiro, psha...@his.com
http://www.his.com/pshapiro/briefbio.html
http://www.twitter.com/philshapiro
http://www.his.com/pshapiro/stories.menu.html

"Wisdom begins with wonder." - Socrates
"Learning happens thru gentleness."

"We must reinvent a future free of blinders so that we can choose from real options."  David Suzuki

Terry Scott

Patrick Chezzie

Nov 29, 2017, 5:03:33 PM11/29/17
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for your help Terry. I will try this. But I have a question. If I can install cloud ready on the machines, how do I bypass the email and password and confirmation windows? Thanks.

I have been trying to install Linux Mint on the Everex computer, but it seems no one has written a video driver for Linux. It is taking forever to install in software rendering mode without video hardware acceleration. It is a Via C7 CPU. Maybe that is why I cannot change the video resolution in Linux Chalet. It seems I am only left with reinstalling Vista. Yuk!

Terry Scott

Nov 29, 2017, 5:33:08 PM11/29/17
to refurb...@googlegroups.com
You can login as guest.  However, this is limiting as it doesn't store anything and you can't install any extensions, etc.  Good for testing or maybe a kiosk, but not much else.  You can do updates (from settings) from the guest account, which is recommended before distributing to users.

Smarter to have the users get their own free gmail account, even as they login to the machine the first time.

[...]

Patrick Chezzie

Dec 1, 2017, 1:34:53 PM12/1/17
to refurb...@googlegroups.com

Hi Phil,

I downloaded Chromium O/S and wrote it to a flash drive, and showed over 10 partitions, using Etcher. Seems nothing other than Vista will run on them. Was the initial flash of the drive corrupted  with the 10 partitions? I also tried cloud ready on a regular Dell, and that worked ok from the USB. Maybe putting Chromium on the flash drive and using etcher is wrong? Your help is greatly appreciated.