Microsoft Surface and Licensing Requirements ...

Sean Dion

Mar 16, 2017, 1:38:14 PM3/16/17
to refurbishers
Does anyone have a definitive answer on what licensing/COAs is required on Microsoft's Surface devices?

We're just now starting to see some decent units (in decent quantities) hit the off-lease space and we have to figure out how to load the OS, change from Windows Pro 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro, etc.We just need to make sure we are doing it legally - within the letter of the law - how Microsoft sees it anyhow :)

The devices we are seeing don't have original COAs (they are likely embedded in the BIOS or whatever).  So, do we have to add a MRR license when re-imaging with the original WIndows 8.1 Pro, or how 'bout if we want to upgraded to Windows 10 PRO?  Is there a difference between loading straight to Windows 10 Pro or doing an upgrade from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro?

The reason I ask is that at some point I recall having seen something where MS was giving away licenses on their tablets and phones (to presumably compete better with Android).  I just want to make sure we are doing it right out of the gate.

Regards,

Sean Dion
TKO Electronics, Inc.