Redis as a Windows service?

Kevin Burton

Jan 15, 2016, 9:42:09 AM1/15/16
to Redis DB
I am trying to install a redis server as a Windows service. So according to the directions I can do the following:

H:\Redis>H:\Redis\bin\redis-server --service-install H:\Redis\redis.windows.conf

I look at the services app and I indeed see that 'Redis' was installed as a service. But when I try to start the service I get an dialog that 'Error 2: The system could not find the file specified'. I can supply a screen-shot of the error alert but I don't think it is helpful. I am running 'Redis server v=3.0.501 sha=00000000:0 malloc=jemalloc-3.6.0 bits=64 build=ba05b51e58eb9205' of the server that I compiled using Visual Studio. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Kevin

Enrico Giordani

Jan 15, 2016, 10:13:44 AM1/15/16
to Redis DB
Hi Kevin,
there is a typo in the documentation, you should use the redis.windows-service.conf file not the redis.windows.conf and you don't have to pass the absolute path, just type redis-server --service-install redis.windows-service.conf.
Btw, what's the reason to compile your own binaries instead of using the provided binaries?
For future reference please use https://github.com/MSOpenTech/redis/issues since it's more likely you will get an answer there.

Kevin Burton

Jan 15, 2016, 10:21:16 AM1/15/16
to redi...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure where to get the provided binaries.
I copied the service conf to a local folder and renamed it to redid.windows.conf so the contents are essentially the same as the service conf.
The reason that I gave an absolute path is that the configuration is not in the same folder as the reds-server and redid-server is not in my path. Is that a problem?

Enrico Giordani

Jan 15, 2016, 11:58:23 AM1/15/16
to Redis DB
You can find the MSI or the zipped binaries here: https://github.com/MSOpenTech/redis/releases
In theory the config file can be in a different folder, but we currently don't have an automated test to guarantee that it works as expected, so I suggest to put in the same folder just to make sure the problem is not caused by the file being in a different location.

Kevin Burton

Jan 15, 2016, 12:49:16 PM1/15/16
to Redis DB
I don't know what is different from what I did but using the .msi at  https://github.com/MSOpenTech/redis/releases works. Thank you.

Kevin Burton

Jan 15, 2016, 1:57:35 PM1/15/16
to Redis DB
When I change the .conf file to point to a different folder or a different log path then it fails.

Kevin Burton

Jan 15, 2016, 2:11:59 PM1/15/16
to Redis DB
So it seems related to an any kind of path change to the configuration for 'logfile' and 'dir'. Any idea what the constraints for these two paths are with windows?