Shutdown script from install_server.sh incompatible with password?

sams...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2015, 5:22:38 AM9/28/15
to Redis DB
I just spun up a development server, and am trying Redis 3.0.4 for the first time.

I used install_server.sh to install everything.

I then added a password to the configuration file.

Starting up redis works fine, but when running

# /etc/init.d/redis_26000 stop

I get:
Stopping ...
(error) NOAUTH Authentication required.
Waiting for Redis to shutdown ...
Waiting for Redis to shutdown ...
Waiting for Redis to shutdown ...

[inifinte loop until Ctrl+c]

It seems to me that the init.d script needs to grab the password (if there is one) out of the conf file, and provide it to the redis client to do the shutdown.

I'm pretty sure this bug stops the server from rebooting/shutting down, since the loop never ends.  This is a pretty big deal if your server is co-located remotely and you run Redis with a password.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Itamar Haber

Sep 28, 2015, 6:36:43 AM9/28/15
to redi...@googlegroups.com
Indeed - there's a pull request[1] I submitted some time ago to address that, perhaps it will be merged in the upcoming 3.2 ;)

Itamar Haber | Chief Developer Advocate & Senior Solution Architect
Redis Watch Newsletter - Curator and Janitor
Redis Labs - Enterprise-Class Redis for Developers

Mobile: +1 (415) 688 2443
Office: +1 (650) 396 2999 Ext. 123
Mobile (IL): +972 (54) 567 9692
Office (IL): +972 (3) 720 8515 Ext. 123
Email: ita...@redislabs.com
Twitter: @itamarhaber
Skype: itamar.haber

Blog  |  Twitter  |  LinkedIn

sams...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2015, 3:59:48 PM9/28/15
to Redis DB
Itamar...

Awesome!

But why wait until Redis 3.2?  Obviously I can apply the patch now, but it would be great to get this in 3.0.5 to save others the hassle of figuring out what is going on.

Besides, I'm guessing a lot of people when they see their boxes not rebooting will hard power them.  I suspect this could lead to loss of data, since Redis won't have been told to write out its dump.

Anyway, thanks again.