REDIS distributed caching

Barun Kumar

Dec 22, 2016, 4:33:53 AM12/22/16
to Redis DB
Hello All,

Is it necessary to implement the redis sentinal for redis distributed caching???
I am accessing my application(.war) from 3 instance of tomcat running on three
different machine.and my application using same Mysql db to populate
the application cache on each tomcat start up.

Request you guys to help  me out in choosing the approach?

with sentinel or without sentinal.

Regards,
Barun

Itamar Haber

Dec 22, 2016, 8:44:52 AM12/22/16
to Redis DB
Hell Barun,

Sentinel is a tool that provides high availability to non-clustered instances - see here for the documentation: https://redis.io/topics/sentinel.
In a nutshell, Sentinel monitors the health of the master and slaves, and promotes a slave in case of a master's failure.

You don't need it if you're not worried about your Redis being highly available.
You do need it (or another HA solution) if you want your application to have almost uninterrupted cache service.

Cheers,
Itamar

Barun Kumar

Dec 23, 2016, 12:35:50 AM12/23/16