session info

kaushalender shekhawat

Apr 26, 2016, 5:12:25 AM4/26/16
to Redis DB
Hi,

I am sorry, If it looks dump but I am new beginner to Redis or in-memory db.I am trying  to build mqtt solution in which I am trying to use in memory nonsql DB in-spite of tradition sql DB.

I am trying to achieve following

There  will be linux box installed remotely on which some scripts will be running and performing testing on various parameter of internet bandwidth like download speed etc etc of the remote location .

This server will also send Heartbeat to centralize server which will be present  in my lab and message broker will be runig on this. To tell that remote site is up and active

Heartbeat will be consist of

a)      server Unique ID

b)      sequence number (which increments every time a heartbeat is sent, so that we can easily calculate missing heartbeats)

c)       IP address

Get the time of the heartbeat

Now I have to record all these parameter in  db and update them whenever heartbeat comes  and also  there will be one flag which will be Marked as True/False .If Heartbeat fails this flag will be Marked as False and this flag will also record time when it is Marked as false and No of heartbeat missed.If HeartBeat is missed 5 times message Broker will generate a alarm

Does this type of solution is supported by Redis.If Yes .Can I create my own schema and  what will be best approach in this

AlexanderB

Apr 26, 2016, 2:09:59 PM4/26/16
to Redis DB
Redis takes a bit of a different approach than a traditional schema based database, and there is no step of creating / defining the schema.

Instead Redis provides a handful of commands that can be used to store and retrieve data. The particular commands your application uses when it's putting the data in, determine the format of the stored data. It's a lot more like working with the collections standard library of data structures.

I'd suggest trying out this interactive redis tutorial to start. https://try.redis.io/

From there you can get a sense of what commands are possible, and then look into a library for talking to redis from whatever programming language your application uses.

It sounds like Redis provides all the tools you'd need to solve your problem, but you will still need to spend some time building your tools on top of redis for your specific use case.