Redis Dead Letter Queue

Paulo Roberto Silva

May 29, 2018, 1:57:40 PM5/29/18
to Redis DB
Hello!

I would like to know if Redis supports dead letter queue, similar to RabbitMQ https://www.rabbitmq.com/dlx.html.

Thank you

Pierre Chapuis

May 30, 2018, 2:13:33 AM5/30/18
to Redis DB
Redis is not a background job system, so no.

Background job systems implemented using Redis can support such a mechanism, e.g. Resque does.

Disque, which is written by the same author as Redis, uses a different approach.

Paulo Roberto Silva

May 30, 2018, 3:30:27 PM5/30/18
to redi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Pierre!

Could I do something like that using Celery + Redis?

Paulo Roberto Silva
(12) 99221-8616 - TwitterLinkedin | Github | Blog | Izepa

Salvatore Sanfilippo

May 30, 2018, 4:43:48 PM5/30/18
to redi...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Basically Redis has primitives in order to create a dead letter
feature, but the fact it is available or not depends on the library
implementing queues that you are using.

Libraries based on BRPOPLPUSH command or that in general do not remove
the job from the queue before acknowledged processing may have such
feature (sometimes queue systems on top of Redis are basically
implemented in Lua and do many funny things to create new features).

In the case of the new Stream data type of Redis 5, the consumer
groups have explicit dead letter features, you can grep the Redis
streams intro (https://redis.io/topics/streams-intro) for dead letter,
but it's better that you read it all if you plan to use streams.

Cheers,
Salvatore

--
Salvatore 'antirez' Sanfilippo
open source developer - Redis Labs https://redislabs.com

"If a system is to have conceptual integrity, someone must control the
concepts."
— Fred Brooks, "The Mythical Man-Month", 1975.

Salvatore Sanfilippo

May 30, 2018, 4:44:54 PM5/30/18
to redi...@googlegroups.com
> Disque, which is written by the same author as Redis, uses a different approach.

Yep, and the same idea was borrowed for the stream data type basically.