REDIS INFO at regular intervals

Rama Rao

Jun 12, 2017, 11:21:53 AM6/12/17
to redi...@googlegroups.com
We are running redis INFO command for every 2 sec to get the statistics. Is this too frequent? Does it have any performance impact in a production redis with high concurrent requets?

Thanks,

Salvatore Sanfilippo

Jun 12, 2017, 11:29:39 AM6/12/17
to redi...@googlegroups.com
Should not be a problem, INFO takes more or less 30 usec to run.
However if you want to reduce this even further, you may use the "INFO
section" form if you are only interested in certain things.

For instance "INFO" can be ran 40,000 times per second, while "INFO
monitor" can be ran 120,000 times per second.

Cheers,
Salvatore
> --

Salvatore 'antirez' Sanfilippo
open source developer - Redis Labs https://redislabs.com

"If a system is to have conceptual integrity, someone must control the
concepts."
— Fred Brooks, "The Mythical Man-Month", 1975.

Rama Rao

Jun 13, 2017, 1:27:56 AM6/13/17
to redi...@googlegroups.com
OK. Cool. Thanks.

Cheers,
Rama

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 5:21 PM, Rama Rao <ramarao...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We are running redis INFO command for every 2 sec to get the statistics. Is
> this too frequent? Does it have any performance impact in a production redis
> with high concurrent requets?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --

Salvatore 'antirez' Sanfilippo
open source developer - Redis Labs https://redislabs.com

"If a system is to have conceptual integrity, someone must control the
concepts."
       — Fred Brooks, "The Mythical Man-Month", 1975.

Joshua Scott

Jun 20, 2017, 4:01:18 PM6/20/17
to Redis DB
For what it's worth, we have found that INFO takes much longer when there are thousands of clients connected (on the order of 1ms or so). We haven't seen that calling INFO every 15 sec or so has a measurable impact on performance, though.

Josh Scott

Salvatore Sanfilippo

Jun 20, 2017, 5:33:30 PM6/20/17
to redi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Joshua, that makes sense, it is due to the statistics section
that attempts to provide the longest output buffer. Probably it should
be removed from INFO... or at least the tracking should be performed
incrementally and INFO should just report the cached information
rather than computing it on the fly.

Rama Rao

Jun 21, 2017, 12:26:27 AM6/21/17
to redi...@googlegroups.com
Makes sense. Probably getting from cache makes this lot predictable