Copying keys from old redis cluster (2.6.0) into new redis cluster (3.0)

Deepak Mallya

Jun 28, 2016, 6:59:59 PM6/28/16
to Redis DB
Hey Guys,

I need to copy all keys from a redis cluster running 2.6.0 into a new redis cluster running 3.0. I was planning to use the "scan" API but found that this was introduced in 2.8.0.  The cluster running 2.6.0 is a production cluster and I'd like to perform this transfer in a controlled way without impacting the 2.6.0 prod cluster. I've read that using "keys" could have a big performance impact on the cluster. Any suggestions on how to go about performing this data migration ?

Thanks,
Deepak

AlexanderB

Jun 29, 2016, 2:51:49 AM6/29/16
to Redis DB
Would you be able to setup an additional slave to your current prod deployment. Doing that and running keys against an extra read-only slave, could work, without causing issues on our main instance. Maybe you could even just hookup your new 3.0 boxes as slaves of your current setup, as a way of getting them up to date, and then either use persistence to reboot them as full masters later, or use the config command to reconfigure them live.

I'm not super familiar with setting up replication slaves, but that's certainly one option to look at. http://redis.io/topics/replication

Deepak Mallya

Jun 30, 2016, 2:05:44 AM6/30/16
to redi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply Alexander!  Yes, replication setup is possible. I'll give it a try.

Thanks,
-Deepak