Optimizations - AOF size is very small compared to occupied RAM

Goldbach

Nov 2, 2016, 6:47:28 AM11/2/16
to Redis DB
I have a fairly simple instance of Redis with tons of basic key-string pairs and some lists to index them.

The instance now occupies more than 4GB of RAM while the AOF file keeps staying below the 1GB size. I am wondering: as AOF is just the repetitions of all commands (including both content and meta-data of commands) shouldn't it be comparable to the size occupied in RAM on the database?

These are the types of the keys as encoded in the instance (I used debug object for each key, and the sort | uniq on the results):
encoding:embstr
encoding:raw
encoding:skiplist
encoding:ziplist

Do you agree on the fact some (possibly a lot of) RAM is being wasted?
Anyone can suggest what to do to reduce this waste?

hva...@gmail.com

Nov 4, 2016, 6:01:02 PM11/4/16
to Redis DB
It's nearly impossible to say without knowing more about your Redis instance and the data.  The output of the 'INFO' command would be a very good start.