Redis product release roadmap

Akshat Tandon

Jan 11, 2017, 2:06:44 AM1/11/17
to Redis DB
Hi All,

I want to know what is the frequency of product release cycle of Redis, Is there any product roadmap list available anywhere ?

Thanks
Akshat

Salvatore Sanfilippo

Jan 11, 2017, 2:17:50 AM1/11/17
to redi...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Redis has no fixed roadmap as the development effort is
modulated based on what happens in the community, the bug reports, the
feedbacks at the meetings and confs and so forth.
Because working at the core there are so little people (me with some
sporadic non-trivial contribution plus many other smaller contribs,
but those require close reviews) this setup is the best to maximize
the output. It would be different with a team of 20 people, I would
allocate two for each different subsystem and have roadmaps for the
different parts. Not the case unfortunately...
So the current short-term roadmap is to release Redis 4.0-final, then
Redis 4.2 will be focusing on Redis Cluster improvements, Redis
Modules cluster API support in order to reimplement Disque in terms of
a Redis module, and probably a single or two new data types related to
streams and time series. There is also an ongoing experiment about
adding more support for threaded operations into the modules API, and
to make the Redis I/O and protocol parsing threaded. That's the
current short term plan but could change based on what happens in the
community.
> --

Salvatore 'antirez' Sanfilippo
open source developer - Redis Labs https://redislabs.com

"If a system is to have conceptual integrity, someone must control the
concepts."
— Fred Brooks, "The Mythical Man-Month", 1975.