Cross Data Center Queueing

Chase Wolfinger

Jun 13, 2015, 4:36:05 PM6/13/15
to redi...@googlegroups.com
Hello All - in looking @ Redis i am wondering if anyone has used it for cross data center messaging (East / West coast as an example).    The main concern I see is latency and the cost of BLPOP round trips.  With the current protocol it seems there is no way to avoid the round trips.  The PUB / SUB is interesting since it seems to just stream the data to the client but that will just broadcast to all listeners.  Looking @ disque - I do not believe this is a use case that is being developed.

Thanks
Chase

Josiah Carlson

Jun 15, 2015, 2:44:46 PM6/15/15
to redi...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure someone has used it for cross data center messaging, but it's not something that I would necessarily recommend. As you say, latency when using it for queues via BLPOP is going to be high.

Disque could function for this, but note that Disque is intended to be an AP system for 1+ message delivery, so you may see duplicates. On the upside, if you run disque servers on opposite coasts, at least local access will be fast - it's just that message synchronization (getting messages across, acking messages so they don't appear again) will be slow (but mostly hidden).

 - Josiah