Question of Redis 3.0 milestone (especially Cluster)

HeartSaVioR

Apr 21, 2014, 7:41:03 PM4/21/14
to redi...@googlegroups.com
tl.dr: What's your plan to Redis Cluster (3.0) RCs and GA?

Hello, antirez.

I'm an user waiting for Redis Cluster being matured. (, and I think many users are being waited.)
I'm also a collaborator in Jedis project.

We have been working with Jedis supporting Redis Cluster.
But Redis project seems to focus introducing new commands, and concern for Redis Cluster is holding.
(Last commit about Redis Cluster is 25 days ago, I love your concentration though.)

I've posted about Cluster bug, and question, etc, but it seems that nothing resolved.
There're also some questions, issues related to Redis Cluster posted from other users.

Now it's time to have plan for Jedis to support Redis Cluster, and it could be strictly related to Redis Cluster planning.
So I've leave above question.

Sorry if you think I'm quick-tempered. :)

Always thanks for your greatest effort!

Regards.
Jungtaek Lim (HeartSaVioR)

Salvatore Sanfilippo

Apr 22, 2014, 4:10:15 AM4/22/14
to Redis DB
Hello Jungtaek,

the work on Redis Cluster si currently the main priority, and if you
check the latest three months work of commits, you can see it clearly.
The current "break" was just a few weeks in order to introduce
something newer to Redis 2.8.9, that will be released today.
Those new things are: 1) HyperLogLogs. 2) Range queries in sorted
sets. This was a required move because there is a very large Redis
community percentage that is focused on Redis data structures without
caring too much about Redis as a store. From time to time we need to
support this part of the community as well: to do just Cluster,
uninterrupted, for months, would be a bit like forgetting that there
are many users that are not interested in this use case and want to
see, from time to time, some work supporting their usage of Redis.

So long story short, nothing is changing about the ETA, today 2.8.9 is
release, and I'll work a few more weeks to Cluster beta-3 (there are
already important new things compared to beta-2 in the current
branch), and release it, and so forth for the next weeks. Eventually
it will get stable (depends a lot on the community feedbacks /
testing) and it will be a feature like the others that will get its
round of work as required. Assuming this process will last again more
than 2/3 months and for some reason we are not yet about to reach
stability, I'll have again to stop a few weeks to do some unrelated
work.

TL;DR: Because I think in the near future Redis Cluster will be a big
change for the Redis community, I'm currently investing an
disproportionate amount of work on it compared to the current Redis
use cases by percentage of users. Yet some other work needs to be done
in parallel.

Regards,
Salvatore
> --

Salvatore 'antirez' Sanfilippo
open source developer - GoPivotal
http://invece.org

To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a
proposition by replacing it with a superficially similar yet
unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and to refute it
— Wikipedia (Straw man page)

임정택

Apr 22, 2014, 8:09:44 AM4/22/14
to redi...@googlegroups.com
Oh, actually I see huge commits related to cluster, so I thought you're focusing to complete Redis Cluster.
Definitely I can wait for stable Redis Cluster, and I love that recently added functionalities!

I'll keeping track of Redis new features, and wish to support as long as possible!
Thanks for feedback.

Regards.
Jungtaek Lim (HeartSaVioR)

2014년 4월 22일 화요일, Salvatore Sanfilippo<ant...@gmail.com>님이 작성한 메시지:
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Redis DB" group.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/redis-db.