Question on Redis local instance

Kashyap Mhaisekar

Jan 20, 2016, 2:42:07 PM1/20/16
to redi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I am thinking of installing Redis on a box where there is a lot of other activity going on. I plan to use it predominantly for GET. The box has 8 CPU but avg CPU rate is 70%.

Question - Is it advisable to have a local redis instance on a VM that has a lot of other activity going on?

Thanks
Kashyap

Kashyap Mhaisekar

Jan 21, 2016, 7:12:53 PM1/21/16
to redi...@googlegroups.com

Any opinions? Did any one face issues in this?

Dvir Volk

Jan 21, 2016, 7:39:04 PM1/21/16
to redi...@googlegroups.com
Your question is just too broad to answer and you're not providing enough context to give you a serious answer.
In general, it's not good to add more of anything to a machine that's already at such a high load. In fact, it's not a great idea to keep a machine running constantly at 70% CPU. it means it's probably already overloaded or nearing it.

however, usually redis is more of a RAM and network consumer than CPU - apart from when it is persisting.

So ask yourself:
What are your latency requirements?
What load are you expecting on this redis instance? How will it affect the overall load of the machine?
What happens if your traffic increases?
Is there any reason besides cost to keep redis on the same machine?
etc

Kashyap Mhaisekar

Jan 21, 2016, 11:23:49 PM1/21/16
to redi...@googlegroups.com
Dvir,
Thanks for replying despite the vagueness. Here is a more detailed situation I am facing.

My application is deployed on a VM and has a functionality to read close to 10K key/values from Redis (Either at once or in buckets using pipelines or individually). Each key/value is around 100 KB. Now because of this, the data transferred on the network is going up. While Redis responds fast, the high rate of network transfer is causing issues of a different kind.

The VM where the application has been deployed is a busy VM with 70% CPU on an average.

We were considering bringing in the Redis on the same VM where the application is installed so that the network data transfer can be avoided. We could have used local cache in the application, but presently it is not an option.

So my question was - Since Redis is a single threaded cache (almost!) and is very CPU sensitive, was wondering if it is a good idea to move the Redis into the VMs that see a lot of activity.

I can probably benchmark it to figure out, but wanted to get some opinions from the community too.

Thanks
Kashyap