How to determine if redis is a bottleneck

S Ahmed

Sep 16, 2016, 11:21:20 AM9/16/16
to redi...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

What are some ways to determine if my redis instance is a bottle neck?

There are a few potential areas that could b a problem and I'm not sure how to best diagnois them.

1. There are many clients trying to write to redis, but they get blocked.
2. Redis is reaching the maximum number of reads/writes it can do on the given hardware
  i.e redis is running as fast as the slowest component on the server, which might be the disk io?

I'm not sure how connections are handled but say this happens:

1. trying to read form redis like hget key1 field1
2. redis finds the key, and starts to stream the text back to the client

When #2 happens, is the next client still blocked or is the streaming the value part of some other process that doesn't block other clients?

Basically the system I'm looking at is considered slow and the blame is on redis, just trying to figure out how to actually proof if this is the case or not.

Thanks.