Imminent Redis Streams RDB format change?

Nick Farrell

Feb 12, 2018, 7:15:19 AM2/12/18
to Redis DB
A couple of weeks back antirez mentioned changes being made to the streams data format to better support the upcoming consumer groups work.

Given streams is not formally released, but just in unstable, will there be any problems migrating an RDB from the current unstable format to the new one?

Salvatore Sanfilippo

Feb 12, 2018, 8:59:00 AM2/12/18
to redi...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately the two RDB formats will not be compatible. Anyway there is a way to load the old dataset in the new versions: generate and AOF file using BGREWRITEAOF and then loading the AOF in the new instance. This should solve the problem in case there are already datasets to migrate. However merging of consumer groups is at max 2 weeks ahead.

Il 12 feb 2018 13:15, "Nick Farrell" <nicholas...@gmail.com> ha scritto:
A couple of weeks back antirez mentioned changes being made to the streams data format to better support the upcoming consumer groups work.

Given streams is not formally released, but just in unstable, will there be any problems migrating an RDB from the current unstable format to the new one?

Nick Farrell

Feb 12, 2018, 2:40:39 PM2/12/18
to Redis DB
Excellent!

Thanks for the workaround. There won't be many people wanting to migrate, so this approach is all we need.

I'm performing some long running parallel tests with our legacy system and would prefer to not need to regenerate the redis database from scratch, which the AOF approach allows.

Nick